Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intermittent problem with certain urls

• Please log in to reply

beasuccess

beasuccess

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi everyone, hope I'm in the right Forum!

I've come here hoping somebody can help me with an intermittent problem I'm having viewing certain urls.

I'm not very technically minded, and I hope you can understand my problem. Here goes:

My computer sometimes will, and sometimes won't, let me view particular urls (they are hosted on the domain name of a program I am a member of, and I won't post the url unless it necessary, I'm not here to 'recruit' anyone!)

If I remove the www. part of the url I can access some of the previously unviewable pages, but not all of them.

I've got a feeling Norton Internet Security is the cause of it, but I don't know how. I haven't changed any settings, and the problem is intermittent.

(Having browsed around here for a while it seems that Norton is not as good as I thought, hmm??)

I don't know if the following is relevant, but I'm running Windows 98 and using Firefox browser. This has only been happening over the last week or so, and there's also the possibility of one other person I know having the same type of problem viewing these particular urls (she is also using Norton, if it helps).

Like I said, I'm not very good with comps and hope I've explained it clearly enough.

Hoping somebody can help,

Jayne

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello and welcoem to geekstogo,
how long ahve you been using firefox? have the problems just started when you switched over?

awnser those questions and also do the following check what version of firefox you have, and i don't mean go to the check for updates thing as it will not bring you to the best update curently available.
To find out what version you have please go help->about Mozilla firefox and please tell me what version it says. If it is short of versoin 1.5 please go to the following URL to update your firefox that cannot be done by going check for updates. http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/
If your problems continue to orrucre please post back, along to the awnsers to my previous questions. After you have downloaded 1.5 or if you have it already, then you can go help->check for updates.
Thanx
James

Edited by james_8970, 13 February 2006 - 08:27 PM.

beasuccess

beasuccess

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi James,

Thanks for replying :tazz:

I've been using FireFox for a number of months now, with no similar problems.
I checked which version I've got installed, and it's Version 1.5.0.1 and there are
no updates available.

The problem is still intermittent, and tonight those urls are NOT working again.

It's very frustrating! I really have no idea what's causing this. I do nothing different when I boot up my computer, and sometimes they'll work, and sometimes they won't!

As I explained in my original post, the urls I am having problems with are all hosted on the domain name of a biz opp I'm part of, and two of the urls I can't 'see' are my login url for my member area and my affiliate website. If I remove the www. part of my login url I can access that page, but it doesn't work for my affiliate website. I just get a 'Firefox cannot find server' message (I can't 'see' ANY members' affiliate pages).

I know that others can see their websites, so it's not a server problem.

Hoping you can shed some more light on the subject James!

Thanks,

Jayne

Edited by beasuccess, 13 February 2006 - 09:56 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
can you c them using internet explorer?
thanx
James

beasuccess

beasuccess

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry, should have said - no, when they're not working, I can't view them with IE either - typically, all the urls are working tonight!

Jayne

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ok well i want you to remove all you temp files, i think this should fix your problem.
Use both methodes as you use both browsers.
start->controle panel->internet options-> under temperairy folder click remove cookies and then remove files. When it asks if you want to remove offline content click yes.
then do the following,
under the firefox browser do the following,
tools->options->privacy->cookies->remove cookies
thanx lets hope this works
James

beasuccess

beasuccess

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi James,

OK, I've just done that, so let's hope it's worked.

I'll let you know....

Thanks James,

Jayne

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ok lets cross our fingers.
thanx
James