Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Expensive build

• Please log in to reply

addy_010

addy_010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
OMG ok whats the diffrernce with all the graphics card? i am looking on scan.co.uk and they have like 7 different versions of the ATI x1900xtx, as far as my knoweldge went there was just one :S :S :S :S. i need help at to what each one means with the DVI, hdtv, dual, and the rest?

also what MD do you recommend for this rig, if im no longer going to be eventually getting two grpahics cards, ill just upgrade i guess instead. What about: Gigabyte GA K8NF-9 Ultra NF4-Ultra FSB2K PCIE DDR400 10xUSB 4xSATAII 2xPATARaid 8Ch Audio LAN. for £68 does this do what i require, plus does this mean i don't need a better sound card or should i still get a better one?

gosh this is far more confusing then i first beleieve it to be building a computer

Edited by addy_010, 11 February 2006 - 12:13 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well its completely identical to the SLI version except it has the extra pci slots and the lack of the second PCI-Ex16 slot, there will be versions from different companies, DVI is the newer way of connecting monitors it superior to VGA. HDTV will probably be the one with the composite or HDMI output to connect direct to an HDTV(although this can also be done via DVI) Dual not to sure may mean dual dvi but they all have that, ill go take a a lool and see.

Youre buying a computer its much simpler to build one usually as you just order the parts and then stick them all together. I cant see it in the build configure, just the plain XT, scans alot better than they used to be for putting together thats a great custom build site i hadnt been on that bit for ages i usually just look on it for the parts.

Edited by warriorscot, 11 February 2006 - 12:55 PM.

addy_010

addy_010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
ok so now whats the difference from ASUS version of x1900 xtx and sapphire's version? Sapphire cost £405 where as ASUS is £500, why sucha huge difference?

okwell i just red in another topic that there isnt really a difference, some come with games, overcloekd etc but thats all and its best to go with the cheapest which is what im going to do

Edited by addy_010, 12 February 2006 - 08:49 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah the cards themselves are identical its just teh extra goodies the give you that differ and they usually only amount to a copy of power dvd and some crap games.

addy_010

addy_010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
ok im going all out and starting again from scrath and planning to buy each part spererately and build it myself, buying from overclockers.co.uk.

here is what i have (updated):

HD-089-MD Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 300GB 6V300F0 SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (HD-089-MD)
£74.95

MB-091-AB Abit AT8 ATI RD480 Crossfire (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-091-AB)
£74.95

CD-024-NE NEC ND4550 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM (CD-024-NE)
£25.50

CP-127-AM AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA4400CDBOX) (CP-127-AM)
£289.95

GX-113-SP Sapphire ATI Radeon X1900 XT-X 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-113-SP)
£344.95

MY-079-CS Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2 (MY-079-CS)
£139.95

SC-037-CL Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 7.1 EAX Sound Card - OEM (SC-037-CL) 1
£29.95

and extra's dont need but if i have money ill get:

KB-077-LG Logitech G15 Gaming-Grade Illuminated Keyboard - Retail (KB-077-LG) 1
£44.95

KB-069-LG Logitech G5 Gaming-Grade Laser Mouse (KB-069-LG) 1
£37.95

Subtotal £1,063.10
Shipping (Delivered Mon-Fri) £8.95
VAT £187.61
+ £120 for case (if that the final case)
Total £1,380.66

leaving me with at most £20 to buy other bites and bobs such as do i needto buy cables for everything or do they come with. Advice needed on what i should get.

Edited by addy_010, 13 February 2006 - 05:39 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ram wise i would go corsair rather than gskill, nothing really wrong with gskill its just that corsair is the best and usaully the cheapest.

You have also picked a Micro ATX motherboard, I would go for a full size ATX from either ABIT, MSI or DFI, the drives good, on Komplett they have the samsung spinpoint P120s and those are the best performing of the 7200rpm drives that i know of.

I would check out Ebuyer for parts as well they can be cheaper, i dont think you will get any cheaper on the gfx though overclockers have some really great deals on all the ATI cards right now.

Case wise overclockers has the best selection out of anyone, Coolermaster, Akasa and antec i would check out they are my favourites, and psu wise same as the cases except coolermasters PSU division is called hiper, Tagan and ultra also make good PSUs, youll be looking for above 500W i would say ideally 550W to 600W.

Once youve picked a mobo download the manual from the manufacturer its probably the most useful preperation to buying and building you can do.

addy_010

addy_010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
with the RAM thing im looking at the Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3500LL Pro TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2 (MY-093-CS) Priced at £234.94 Including VAT. quite alot more money but then how much better is this. i beleive im going to have a little money left over so doing this wont b harmful to my budget, just aslong as the money is for a good reason.

do you have any suggestions as to which MD. i want it to be sata2 capable and dual ddr. this seems good except for the price :S Asus A8N32-SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi X16 (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-118-AS) is it true that you dont need a fan for this, what fan do i not need for this, saving my money of course. only problem is that it doesn't sy it supports dual ddr and sata2, although it says sata3.0Gb/s port is that the same as sata2

ill look into your website suggested just now. thanks again

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
-If you are not going to overclock then there is no reason to get higher than PC3200 ram. The one you picked is way too expensive. Get regular XMS PC3200. You will not see a difference because if you are not gonn aoverclock then the FSB can't communicate as fast as the ram so there is no point.
Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2 (MY-079-CS) for $139

-For motherboard this one is good for $74:
Abit AT8 ATI RD480 Crossfire (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-091-AB)

It supports dual channel architecture. It has 4 sataII/sata3.0gb/s connectors. And it supports crossfire if u ever want to add another card.

About that Asus A8N32-SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi X16 motherboard, obviously you need fans. That motherboard is expensive because you can use sli in full x16 speed on both cards, something that you will not need. It has an 8 phase design i think it is a littl emore efficient or something but you don't need that.You will not save money because (im assuming) you are not overclocking and most parts that need a fan come with with one.

-SataII is the same as SATA3.0gb/s

With the extra money get a better monitor or just go to a local pc store and buy a used crt monitor for really cheap if you dnt have enough for a new one, make sure it supports at least 1280*1024 resolution.

addy_010

addy_010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
ok ive updated what im planning on getting in above post, could someone have a look and give me feedback.

Im currently looking at cases and PSU right now. this is what im most leaning towards as i like the look, the price, and aparently is a good case with good fans, PSU etc all included.

A-Top X-Blade Ultimate Black With 580 Watt Psu -Pci Express-Cable Manager 20/24 Pin + LCD Controller
Choose Psu Colour: Blue Hiper Modular
£117.49 + VAT

http://www.xcase.co....eluxe.html#a773

Questions i have about this case are:
1. Will this support everything i have listed?
2. Does this come with all the required fans, are any more fans required for CPU, graphics card etc?
3. How is that PSU, should i go for another? It comes in blue and black, not sure which to get as im unsure if i will see this at all. I want the case to look exactly like it does in the picture, with the blue lighted areas etc.
4. Is that controller any good?
5. How quiet is this case going to be? can you recommend any others for my rig?

I have checked the OCuk forums and people seem to be suggesting the Lian-li v1000 (i think its called), is this any good? doesnt look too nice to me but i might need to see it in person.

Anything else am i going to need to get this machine running, e.g. cables, fans, controllers.

and last question for this post...... do overclockers.co.uk have a finance scheme, like buy now pay 6 months later. This need sot be answered as there i no way can afford this all at once.

p.s. My mum should hopefully be getting a new screen soon so i will be inherating her old one which is a CRT prob about 1280x1024 maybe bigger :tazz:

Edited by addy_010, 13 February 2006 - 05:36 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The lian li are the best cases you can get, but they are very expensive, you have picked very expensive cases, and be careeful when picking a case get something that you arent going to go off, and a case with alot of lights can get very very annoying at night.

Nah you dont get finance schemes when you buy parts usually its cash up front just like a shop.

Never rely on finance options to purchase anything expensive its not a good idea to get yourself into debt if you cant afford to buy it outright dont as there is no guarantee you can pay it in 6 months, the way to do it is open a savings account and save up for a compter. And work within your budget dont say i want this them try and get the budget.

Advertisements

addy_010

addy_010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
yeah im compltetly forgot about the lights on that system, when i first started with this rig i avoided all cases with lights, but i forgot.

Sucks about the finance thing. i was relying on that to get this computer. I am hoping now to borrow the money from family and pay them back when i can.

What do you think of the newer specs, found in post like 6 above ^^^. Do that seem ok to you?

Edited by addy_010, 17 February 2006 - 07:03 AM.

addy_010

addy_010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
here is what i have UPDATED (Version 3):

CP-127-AM AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA4400CDBOX) (CP-127-AM)
£289.95

CD-024-NE NEC ND4550 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM (CD-024-NE)
£25.50

HD-018-SA Samsung SpinPoint P SP2504C 250GB SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-018-SA)
£61.95

CA-024-LL Lian-Li PC V1000 PLUS Silver Aluminium Midi-Tower (No PSU) (CA-024-LL)
£114.95

FG-024-AK Akasa AK-183-L2B Ultra Quiet 120mm Fan - 3 pin (FG-024-AK)
£8.95

MY-079-CS Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2 (MY-079-CS)
£129.95

GX-046-CO Connect3D ATI Radeon X1900 XT-X 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (3055) (GX-046-CO)
£329.95

MB-129-AS Asus A8R-MVP Crossfire (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-129-AS)
£69.95

HD-000-MI Mitsumi FA 404M 7in1 USB 2.0 Floppy & Media Drive - Silver (HD-000-MI)
£13.95

Subtotal £1,054.05
VAT £184.46
Total £1,238.51

leaving me with at most £165 to buy other bites and bobs. Advice needed on what i should get and any changes.

Im currently looking at PSU right now.

Questions i have about this case are:
1. Does this come with all the required fans, are any more fans required for CPU, graphics card etc?

Anything else am i going to need to get this machine running, e.g. cables, fans, controllers?

only problem is fans, cpu cooler, gpu cooler, and PSU

of these what are required. i have looked into fans and found this: Akasa AK-183-L2B Ultra Quiet 120mm Fan - 3 pin (FG-024-AK) is this any good, is a new fans required?

Are CPU coolers and GPU coolers required?

What power supply power should i get and which make?

Edited by addy_010, 17 February 2006 - 07:28 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Looks cool, but try and look on ebuyer you might be able to get some stuff cheaper you should shop around overclockers is good for selection but its not always cheaper, also go to komplett and get the P120 spinpoint its the newer and faster model.

addy_010

addy_010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
really? i should get the p120? i have looked on samsung webstie and they appear to be really simliar. Im not calling you a lier or anything but would you be able to find some information to show me the differnces. Again im not saying your wrong im just curious as im not quiet sure

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Read the reviews, by this point in the part selection you should have picked up a few good review sites like toms hardware guide and hexus for example(both i think have a review on the drive toms certinaly does, it was also reviewed a couple of months ago on custom pc magazine). The data density on the platters is higher and its electronics are more advanced as the older spinpoints like the other one while excelent and seom of the most reliable were loud and performance wasnt phenomenal.

And i know Komplett definatley have the correct drive because i reccomended the drive to a friend and he got it from them no bother.