Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vidieo Driver Problems

• Please log in to reply

rick0

rick0

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I built this system little over a year ago and never had a problem until now. When I go to boot up it gets to the screen with the Windows XP logo then the screen goes black and get a box that saysDVI no signal and then goes black. I can go into safe mode and remove the drivers for the video card, ATI X600 PCI Express, and reboot and windows will come up and work in VGA mode. I can reload the drivers but still have the same trouble.

I have downloaded the newest drivers and installed them for all the hardware in my system and still no go.

I reformatted the hard drive and put in a clean install of windows xp [twice] and it worked for about 4 days and it went back to the same thing. I took out one of the 512 memory chips of ram and it worked for a couple of days and went back to not booting up. Put the the 512 memory back in and worked for awhile and then went down again. At this point I replaced the video card with ATI X800 Pro installed the latest and greatest drivers and it worked! But only for a day. I have done a clean boot and I get the same results so I don't think this is a software problem. I replaced the motherboard and I still have the same trouble. also replaced the power supply, no luck.

I have talked to tech help at both ATI and Abit but they were unable to solve the problem. I NEED HELP!!

PC Power 510 Series PSU
Sony 710 DVD
Abit AA8 DuraMax
Corsair 512x2 ram
ATI X800 Pro Video Card
Maxtor sata 160 Hard drive

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-rick0 – [Video Problem-Hardware]
11th Feb 2006

Hi – Welcome to [Geeks to Go] – Here is a – [Viewpoint] – From Hardware

I reformatted the hard drive and put in a clean install of windows xp [twice] and it worked for about 4 days and it went back to the same thing. I took out one of the 512 memory chips of ram and it worked for a couple of days and went back to not booting up. Put the the 512 memory back in and worked for awhile and then went down again. At this point I replaced the video card with ATI X800 Pro installed the latest and greatest drivers and it worked! But only for a day. I have done a clean boot and I get the same results so I don't think this is a software problem. I replaced the motherboard and I still have the same trouble. also replaced the power supply, no luck

It doesn’t leave much else – Either Display or Cable – Replacing – [Motherboard] – [Video Card] – [Memory] – [Power Supply] – pretty much says the same conclusion -

(1) – How old is Display
(2) – What type Display
(3) – Appears to be – [Temperature Related] – [Voltage Breakdown] – [EMI/Cabling]
(4) – Of course [Temperature Problem] – would have negated any – [Replacement Value] of the 4 major components – I would investigate this aspect – Heat is PC Worst Enemy next to Malware -
(5) – Do you have a [Temperature Monitor Application] - Usually the Motherboard Installation CD will have one - Browse the CD for something called – [PC Probe/Monitor] or something similar
(6) – You can download the Free Home addition of – [Everest] – The [Sensor Folder] under – [CPU Folder] is a good Temperature/Voltage/Fan Speed] Monitors – It can only be as good as the Motherboard Support Sensors] - http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/
(7) – Video Card – Keep the slot next to it free – To permit the Fan – ample Breathing Space –
(8) – Monitor Motherboard Temp – Chipsets may be overheating –
(9)– Verify all Fans are Functioning - & for Proper Rotation for Proper Air Flow
(10)– Usually the Cables are hardwired to Monitor – but if not maybe try replacing this – May have damaged the EMI Choke/Filter/Wiring – in the little – [Humpy Thingy]
(11)– Do you have access to spare Monitor – to try -

Jack123

rick0

rick0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Jack123,

I have left this message on several forms on the net asking for help since early Nov. and you the first to reply. I want to thank you.

The monitor I use is a Nec Multisync LCD 1980sx. I have had it since October of 04 so its just over a year old. What I have found is that there are many out there that are having the same problems with there flat panel displays using ATI video cards and I have found that navida card and drivers are having the same problems and there appears to no fix or that I could find. It seems to be all driver related.

As the weather was bad yesterday I searched the net,again, and I found a thread on this very thing at. http://www.rage3d.co....php?t=33758910. It had this post.

ATI's customer support just won me over. Over the phone, we went through a series of troubleshooting situations. The best solution is to go to www.ati.com and, from the home page, choose the CAT version with the control panels (not the Control Center). Uninstall your old CAT display drivers and the old Control Center and then install the downloaded control panel (I used v5.2). Right click the Desktop, then Properties>>Settings>>Advanced>>Options tab. Uncheck "Reduce DVI frequency on high-definition displays." Shut down and if you are using your VGA connector, unplug it. Now plug in your DVI connector and boot your PC.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to use your VGA connector to boot again and then uncheck "Alternate DVI operational mode" (“Reduce DVI...” stays unchecked) and follow the above steps.

Another tip: if you're using ATI Tool, you might try uninstalling it and rebooting.

We all really need to tell ATI's phone support about the problem. I got a bogus response by email from ATI's customer support (their response: “If possible try different DVI monitor to check if problem follows or it is monitor related because [sic] we do not have any similar issue like yours”). They will only will patch the drivers if enough people complain.

I guess it depends on what tech you talk to. I called ATI tech help three times and never received a answer other then its not an ATI problem after going though many of there fixes that were just guesss.

I know that its only been two days since I did this but computer is working so much better. Its funny you mentioned temperature, while i was having trouble my cpu temp ran from 122f to about 135f after it now runs from 98f to 112f and the high was when I was playing Call Duty so right now I feel good about this.

LOL!!! if this does not fix the problem I'll be back..

Thanks
rick

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02-rick0 – [Video Problem-Hardware]
12th Feb 2006

The monitor I use is a Nec Multisync LCD 1980sx. I have had it since October of 04 so its just over a year old. What I have found is that there are many out there that are having the same problems with there flat panel displays using ATI video cards and I have found that navida card and drivers are having the same problems and there appears to no fix or that I could find. It seems to be all driver related.

This piece of information would have given me a better toehold for a starting point - So I just gave you some general ideas/thoughts to ponder/mull over to get your thinking cap on - Usually I ask enough questions that the person with the problem recognizes the solution –

Here are some links addressing DVI – No cut & dry answers – but just another tool for your – [Tool Box] – I was going to suggest that the – Refresh Rate may be too high – if it was a Flat Panel -

DVI Link
http://www.anandtech...doc.html?i=1577

HomeLink
http://www.anandtech.com/default.aspx

Thanks for posting back – I can keep as a reference –
Jack123