Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop question

• Please log in to reply

SunnyS

SunnyS

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My husband's laptop is having some funky problems. The battery doesn't work at all, and when he unplugs it, he has to take the battery out of the laptop for it to turn on.
My question is this. Will replacing the battery fix the other problem, or will we have to send it in for more work?
It's a compaq armada m700 rebuilt by a computer company in the town we used to live in.
Any ideas?
Sunny S

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
It sounds like a hardware problem, but I would try replacing the battery before shipping it out for repairs. Sorry for the little help I was, and I hope that this helps.

paddyt

paddyt

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi,

Did it suddenly stop working or has it been like this since you got it? are you using the same power supply?

Paddy

SunnyS

SunnyS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
It had been working for quite awhile. He's had it almost a year.
Yes, it is the same power supply.
He had been using it with the battery, and got a low batt shutdown a couple times, but that's not supposed to hurt it, is it?

paddyt

paddyt

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi,

The low battery warning shouldn't make a difference, though it does sound as if the battery could be at fault (has your husband noticed that the charge life in the battery has been getting progressively shorter?).

I would recommend trying to get a replacement battery, ebay wouldn't be a bad place to look, you should be able to find a battery much cheaper than from a shop and as long as the buyer is honest you should get a good deal. If the battery doesn't seem to be the cause then you can just resell it and you shouldn't be out of pocket more than a few pounds (dollars, euros... :tazz: ) that said I reckon a new battery will fix it.

Hope this helps

Paddy

marklet2002

marklet2002

• Pip
  • 3 posts
A similar thing happened with my dell laptop. Everyhing was working fine then all of a sudden the dang thing stopped working unless it was plugged in. I did not have to remove the battery to get it to work, but it sure wouldn't work without a plug. I contacted Dell Tech Support and they told me I needed a new battery. I was able to get a refurbished battery at about 1/2 price from them and it is still working fine (2 1/2 years) The battery charge is only good for about 30 minutes now and I will probably have to break down and get a replacement soon.

marklet2002

marklet2002

• Pip
  • 3 posts
A quick response to Paddyt 's comment. Is there any chance you may know someone with a similar machine that would let you borrow a battery for a few minutes to see if that fixes the problem?