Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modem Keeps Losing Connection

• Please log in to reply

Notsohandyandy

Notsohandyandy

• Pip
  • 9 posts
before about two weeks ago, everything was fine. But these days our Modem keeps losing connection, some times its working some times its not. and its just been really random. Even with our computer on it still has trouble connecting at times. Also when we plug in the ethernet cable into the modem for my other computer to get the internet connection as well (Has worked quite alot, except the times when the its randomly dc'ig) and even with the ethernet cable out it still drops alot (internet).

This is how it is setup.

Computer One<USB Port ----- USB PORT> Modem <Ethernet Port --------- Ethernet port> Computer 2

Now we are wondering whether it is:

1. Our ISP.
2. Modem.

We've rang up our ISP a few times, (Telstra BigPond Australia) and they've done isolation tests i think it was on our internet port, and said its fine. Our Connection ends in a month, and we are thinking of changing ISP's anyways, buti just wanna know if maybe i should get a new modem or not. As ive said, even when the computers are off it still cannot sometimes reconnect. So im guessing that cuts out anything to do with malware etc. ive searched for viruses and anti-spyware and everything is good.

So, Comments pls? :tazz:

Advertisements

Notsohandyandy

Notsohandyandy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ive read another similar post, and i guess i should exchange my USB modem for an ethernet one.. its just my Modem has both an Ethernet AND USB port so what does that classify as? lol

Im noticing more clearly now, as soon as i connect my other computer with this ethernet cable,. it goes off, takes at least 10 minutes or so to settle, and will dc again in maybe another 5, 30 or an hour.. its really annoying, also i read that the ISP was unlikely, so im thinking now its either the ethernet cable or the modem :tazz:

This modem however is haandy to me because both computers can be connected, my Older computer has no ethernet ports so it needs a USB plug -_-

anyways, anyone? =[

EDIT: The Connection is more Semi-stable when only one computer is online and connected.. also the modem may have spasms even when both are off, and we still try to reconnect and reconnect, then restart its powerup then reconnect... this usually goes on for hours

Edited by Notsohandyandy, 11 February 2006 - 05:12 AM.

Notsohandyandy

Notsohandyandy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Still waiting -_-

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Looks like a modem problem.

Is it an actual DSL modem and not a full-blown router?

If so, you may want to consider having a proper router and lob that modem in the direction of the nearest dustbin. At least then the router will handle all the internet and all you need do is plug the computers into that and off you go.

Notsohandyandy

Notsohandyandy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
its a USB modem i guess.. also has an ethernet port ,now its just having spasms at random times.

So you are suggesting just to get a router? you suggested throwing out this one. i don't uderstand, our wireless router b4 it went "crazy" required this ADSL modem to work