Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Traffic Shaping

• Please log in to reply

dreamblaze

dreamblaze

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey all!

I have recently set-up a home network, which consists of a Belkin Wireless router conected to which is:

2 wired PC's on XP
1 wireless PC (mine) >> Wireless Router >> 576k ADSL
1 wireless laptop
1 wired Xbox

I do a lot of online gaming, and find if any or all of the other network users on using the broadband at the same time, my pings go wild. I usually ping around 30 - 40, but as soon as either my brother is on Xbox live, or my sister is researching on the web etc, it can go straight up to 500+. It effects my gaming to the point where it is unplayable!

I'v done a bit of research on traffic sharing, and progs such as m0n0wall. I don't fully understand the concepts of it, and am stuck for what to do. I'm curious if theres anyway of shaping my network so that my applications e.g Steam, Counter-strike etc have network priority over other network users. I expect if there was a solution my pings would still be higher, but at least they would be stable?

Thanks for yout time in reading, look foward to your reply :tazz:
Jack

Advertisements