Welcome Guest to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Feel free to browse the site as a guest. However, you must log in to reply to existing topics or start a new topic of your own, and enjoy all this forum has to offer. Additionally, if you can assist another member by sharing your knowledge, please post a reply! Best of all - Registration and all assistance, is FREE! Learn more about How it Works. Infected? Malware Cleaning Guide. What are you waiting for?
Create an Account Login to Account

How to remove Norton?

• Please log in to reply

chuckycheese

chuckycheese

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

My college is offering a free copy of Norton Antivirus version 10 that I would like to install on my PC. However, I have an old copy of Norton occupying the PC that I cannot uninstall. This Norton program is not listed in the Windows Add/Remove Programs system folder for some reason. The subscription to the old Norton program expired and I've been getting the annoying Security Alert everytime I log on. I cannot get rid of this notice, it just pops back up mere seconds later if I close it.

The new Norton cannot be installed because the aforementioned Security Alert uses files that the installation program needs to use.

Does anyone know how I can either:
1-uninstall the old version of Norton entirely, including the Security Alert, or
2-stop the Security Alert from automatically appearing? I've unclicked every possible type of automatic notification option I can find in Norton and Windows, but the dang alert still pops up?

Thank you.

Advertisement

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Here you go, this should do the trick

Uninstall Nortons

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Often, you can get away with installing Norton over top of itself. Go offline and give it a shot.

Johanna

chuckycheese

chuckycheese

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Here you go, this should do the trick

Uninstall Nortons

It worked. Thanks!

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts