Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Buffer Overrun - User specific

• Please log in to reply

ryurek

ryurek

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi all, having a bit of a problem with a computer at work. We run a specific program on it to do our jobs. This program is a terminal emulator to connect to an AS400 system over the network, but that's not really important.

This is what happens:
Whenever certain users run the program, they get Buffer Overrun Detected - program shut down - errors. At first the only users that got this were me and one other person. Then a few days later, another user, then another.

Here's the thing, if I run the program as the administrator, it works fine on this computer. This program works fine on all other computers, the same files used for installation. I've reinstalled the program, no change. I run it as the administrator using WinXP "RUN AS" feature. However, and this gets me... if I log on as administrator, I can't run it...buffer overruns.

I reinstalled windows on top of the old installation...same thing
Tried xp sp1 and sp2...same thing
I have to have .net framework installed for the dual monitor thing to work, never caused a problem in the past, works on other computers.

The only thing I can think of is bad ram. There is 1gig in there and SiSoft Sandra suggested I get buffered ecc ram instead of Unbuffered Non-ECC. Can this be the problem? Why is it only starting now after running fine for over a year?

Each user logs on to a domain, the RUN AS uses a local-computer user (administrator). Could it be that when running as different user, XP assigns a completely different memory block?

I'm lost, any help is appreciated...
Gigabyte mb, 1 gig ram, heck I can't remember anything else about it...if specs are necessary I can check tomorrow and repost.

Ray

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Ray

I don't know if this is relevant to your particular problem but have a read of it & see what you think. It's article from Microsofts website about buffer overruns. It also has a link to the MS Security update patch that resolves the problem :

http://www.microsoft...n/MS03-026.mspx

BTW there's nothing really to suggest that this might be a ram issue. Buffered ECC ram is just another type of ram thats only really used in Servers & mission critical systems. Most non-server motherboards only support non-buffered, non-ECC ram anyway.