Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD copying

• Please log in to reply

Harveycolt

Harveycolt

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have been sent a +R DVD disk (home-made wedding anniversary shots) and whilst my PC will show them my 'family' DVD player will not. Should there be any reason why I have problems when trying to copy it on to a -R disk? Are +R disks convertable to -R in fact?

Harveycolt
UK

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you tried copying to the hard drive, using Nero to transcode the file then burning it to DVD -R disc

Harveycolt

Harveycolt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks Keith.
Currently, my Nero is playing up for some reason and it won't run. (Have got a copy of Nero 9 that won't uninstall to be re-installed - but that's another topic!)

I have tried copying to HD and back to DVD via Roxio Creator 8 but that didn't work, but I am new to Creator so perhaps I didn't do it right. I thought perhaps that I might be trying to do what is not technically possible perhaps but if is is possible then I will have another try (with Creator). Can I assume that if Nero will do it, then Creator will also work(if done properly)?

Harveycolt

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Once it is on the hard drive, try using Roxio to edit the movie, no need to snip anything, you just want to save the project then output the production as DVD Qualiity, Best, then it should burn to anything but try to use a DVDRW disc in case

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Yes,

There will be no problems copying data from a DVD+R disc to a DVD-R disc. There should be no need for transcoding since the data originally fit on a one-sided DVD media.

You can use any DVD writing program to either copy the data from the original DVD to your hard drive or make an ISO image of the disc (one large file that contains everything on the disc). Then you can write the data or image file to any sort of blank DVD media (+R, -R +/-RW). I have had good luck with settop DVD players playing DVD-R media. It is also useful to use high quality blank DVD-R media and I highly recommend the DVD-R discs from Taiyo Yuden.

If you need any recommendations for freeware programs for performing the above, just post back to this topic.

Cheers,
Tom

I have been sent a +R DVD disk (home-made wedding anniversary shots) and whilst my PC will show them my 'family' DVD player will not. Should there be any reason why I have problems when trying to copy it on to a -R disk? Are +R disks convertable to -R in fact?

Harveycolt
UK

Harveycolt

Harveycolt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks Keith and gust0208. Done it!

I was able to call it in to Nero after all and then burned it on to a -R disk.

Easy when you know how!

Most grateful to you both for your interest. What a great website this is.

Harveycolt
Norwich UK

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting us know