Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Increase Conventional Memory for dos exe

• Please log in to reply

cak

cak

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I launching command.com with a shortcut. I've already reviewed autoexe.nt and config.nt. Autoexec.nt looks like:
REM Install CD ROM extensions
rem lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
REM Install network redirector (load before dosx.exe)
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir.exe
REM Install DPMI support
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx.exe
rem SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

The config.nt looks like:
dos=high,umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
emm=RAM
files=250
The problem is that redir.exe is loading high, but dosx.exe is not. I tried using /L and /S switches to designate the umb, but they don't seem to work. I would appreciate any ideas???

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what are these programs for and what are you trying to achieve?

Loading old DOS programs in XP is dicey at times.

cak

cak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The DOS program is used for some old database programs. The DPMI is needed in order to shell out from within the program. I had an old 95 machine, but that's beginning to die, so I thought that I would try to get the program to run in XP. My plan is to re-write the system, but I needed an interim solution.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what kind of motherboard is this?

cak

cak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
[attachment=6490:attachment]I've tried this on two PCs, one at work, a Dell; and the other at home, a Sony Vaio VGN-FS640/W. Both of them gave similar results. Please see the attachment. It contains the mem/c from both machines. Thanks for your consideration.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Hmm, I am getting the exact same response on this PC I am working on.

A thought--since dosx is used to allow programs to use extended memory, does your program that you are working with use extended memory?

If not, try REMing out DOSX, too, and see if it will load.

cak

cak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, the program does use extended memory and needs the DPMI to work properly. I previously REMd dosx out and yes the conventional memory bumped up to where I needed it, but the program wouldn't work properly without the dpmi support...catch 22.