Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer Croaked

• Please log in to reply

coondoggy

coondoggy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I was attempting to install the latest version of Google Desktop 3 on a computer.
I downloaded the file and ran the install. After completing the install, it asked to reboot and then locked up in the process of shutting down. I was forced to do a hard power down because control-alt-delete didn't work.
When the machine came back on there was no system tray, desktop icons and windows explorer and Internet Explorer wouldn't work. If I do Control alt delete I can get to task manager and run commands from there. Was able to get to System Restore point prior to the attempted install of Google Desktop, but Explorer still won't run.
Attempts to run explorer from "file, run, explorer only flash the start bar/system tray momentarily and then the process stops running.

Any ideas.....? I've exceeded my capacity and multiple Google searches tell of nothing useful.

Doesn't appear to be malware, adware, etc.. infestation. Ad-Aware, SpyBotS&D and Norton scans come back clean.

Advertisements

coondoggy

coondoggy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Oh, forgot to add this. Since I've upgraded to XP SP2, running repair from my original XP OS DVD doesn't appear to be allowed. Booting up in safe mode also exhibits the same problem. (no start bar, system tray, icons, etc...).

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Never be the first person to install beta hardware and never install it on a critical machine....

Did you uninstall google desktop 2?

Try this first

In Task Manager > FILE > NEW (task), appwiz.cpl

This will load add/remove control panel....if google desktop is there, remove it

Reboot.

Report back please as this is the first time we've run into this one since the program is still new and it would be nice to know for future fixes

coondoggy

coondoggy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It WORKED! I couldn't figure out the process name for Add/Remove programs. All I had to do was rerun Explorer from the task manager once completed. Restarted windows and all was back to normal.

Faux pas on my part because I didn't realize desktop 3 was beta.

Thanks for the light-speed response.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
glad to hear it worked....I will note this for future reference. Yes, google desktop 3 just came out in the last couple of days....you may want to report the error as an unhappy beta tester :tazz:

coondoggy

coondoggy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Already did. The un-install had a comments page that launched. I ever so politely offered my commentary. ;-)

You guys are awesome and going onto my favorites.