Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No USB driver available External Hard Disk

• Please log in to reply

coopedup

coopedup

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
:tazz: Hi people

I've had to re-install XP, too many nasty things going on to fight.

Now having put in SP2 and all the latest patches I can't add my Freecom Classic External Hard Drive.

There is not install loader of such, jsut a walk through CD that shows how to connect the HArd drive.

Using Hardware Wizard I go through select the Classic USB device (note: a black over yellow ! mark is shown). When I get to the end it says the driver is not installed (didn't have this issue before re-installing).

If I continue and have XP search for the driver it eventually come back with the message

Cannot Install this Hardware
There was a problem installing this hard ware:
Classic SL Hard Drive
An error occured during the installaion of the device

The Data is invalid

Any ideas what may be causing this? My disk is installed as NTFS and to be honest I'm not sure what Freecom is se tas (though I'm 95% sure I was using NTFS before).

I have searche the web looking for a USB driver matching but can't find anything for XP.

#########
UPDATE

I have also tried adding a small 1G USB dongle and I get the same problem. I checked a lap top and found that I had USBSTOR.SYS missing. I added this to my PC but still I get the issues for both as described above. SYS file in WINDOWS/systems32/drivers.

Cheers and oh so many Saturday beers,

Coop

Edited by coopedup, 11 February 2006 - 01:46 PM.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-Coopedup USB Driver missing
11th Feb 2006

I have also tried adding a small 1G USB dongle and I get the same problem. I checked a lap top and found that I had USBSTOR.SYS missing. I added this to my PC but still I get the issues for both as described above. SYS file in WINDOWS/systems32/drivers.

That should be the Driver required – It is a –[Class Driver] for USB Mass Storage Device – You probably need to uninstall whatever driver you installed -

(1) – Disconnect USB Drive
(2) – Open Device Manager
(3) – Open the USB Drive Folder – may be listed as Mass storage device
(4) – Open [Driver Folder]
(5) – Click Uninstall Driver Tab
(6) – Restart PC to complete Driver Uninstall Process
(7) – Connect USB Drive – [PnP] should find [New Hardware] & install Drive -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 11 February 2006 - 02:50 PM.

coopedup

coopedup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,

Thanks for this info, though my PC does not recognise it as anything other than some un-specific USB device.

Re-checking I think the USBSTROR.SYS file is in correct. Checking a diff XP install this file is 26.8Kb as to the 20.5Kb sized fie I got.

Are there any web sites that I may be able to get the correct file?

Thanks goodness for the day of rest....my head is pounding.

Cheers.....

coopedup

coopedup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Job done.....eventually got a version of the right size and works. Amazin how many sites offer you the "correct" version only for it to be wrong.

Cheers and happy hunting......

NOTE: I think I've got bird flu.....nope I'm sure I have. I keep putting make up on, talking crap and I can no longer park the car.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02-Coopedup – [USB Driver missing]
12th Feb 2006

Job done.....eventually got a version of the right size and works. Amazin how many sites offer you the "correct" version only for it to be wrong.

Cheers and happy hunting......

Good Job – Thanks for posting back results –

NOTE: I think I've got bird flu.....nope I'm sure I have. I keep putting make up on, talking crap and I can no longer park the car.

Sounds more like – A case of – [2 much & 2 many] – [Saturday Night Cheers & Beers] –

Cheers –
Jack123