Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

Katheryan

Katheryan

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Okay, so here's my little issue. I had a external hard drive, and there were problems with its motherboard and casing and whatnot, so I decided to just take out the hard drive and put it into my computer. Well, I opened up the computer, and put it in it's spot, plugged it the ribbon cable and a little cable that said P4, and then turned on my computer. But the drive wasn't recognized. What did I do wrong? Please help me out. :tazz:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Check the jumper setting on the hd. This is a small piece of plastic that puts a jumper over selected pins on the back of the hd like this [::::]. Your main HD (drive C) should be set to master, and this new one to slave, if they are on the same EIDE ribbon cable. Most hard drive manufacturers put detailed instrucions on the drive itself as to how to set the jumper.

Katheryan

Katheryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Okay, so I looked at the back, and theres 3 slots, 1 for the ribbon, then [:::::] like that, it has five columns, not four and then the power slot. All I know is that the Ribbon says slave on it and is plugged into the new hard drive. When I took the drive out though, it wqas really hot like it was working. I'm so confused.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Ok, just make sure the hard drive jumper is on the pins that make it slave. Check the chart on the hard drive (I have Western Digial, Samsung Seagate and Maxtor drives and they all provide this information, if yours does not, look it up on the hd manufacturers web page). Once you have the jumper set correctly, it should work.

You will also need to check the first hd (drive C) as it may be set to master with no slave present. It should be master with slave present.

Edited by austin_o, 11 February 2006 - 03:22 PM.

Jeremy_Scheiderer

Jeremy_Scheiderer

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Just thought that I would throw this out there too. You have to make sure that when hooking up the cable to the HD that its plugged in the right way. Because there will be one side of the cable that has just one red wire on it and thats the power side. Typically not always but Typically it faces away from the Power Supply in the computer. Maybe that will help...... :tazz:

Katheryan

Katheryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Posted Image
So it was put at cable, and I changed it to slave. My new hard drive is empty, but it's still not showing up.

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Is the drive showing up in device manager?

Katheryan

Katheryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
What would it be under in device manager?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

Okay, so I looked at the back, and theres 3 slots, 1 for the ribbon, then [:::::] like that, it has five columns, not four and then the power slot. All I know is that the Ribbon says slave on it and is plugged into the new hard drive. When I took the drive out though, it wqas really hot like it was working. I'm so confused.

The ribbon cable position only applies if the disk is set to "cable select", otherwise it is what the disk is configured to be. If there is another master, then you will have issues and not be able to see the second disk. You need to make sure that it is configured to be a slave or the master, depending on what else is on the channel.

Define "hot". Normal hot or overly hot?

Katheryan

Katheryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Well it wasn't like burning, but I touched the main hard drive and it was at the same heat. So like a warm temp.