Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fatal Crash

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What are the options?

Advertisements

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
ahh i got it,

there is an option for open with registry editor,i click that and click yes to install into my registry,it then gives an error saying

'cannot import C:\documents:error opening the file.there may be a disk,or file system error'

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:tazz:

Using My Computer, navigate to C:Windows\System32 and double-click on the sfc.exe icon.

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
the icon is the same as my desktop icons...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's see if the recovery cd will let us run the repair...

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
The problem with running a reg file to fix the exe file issue is that whatever killed the .exe file association also likely killed regedit and .reg assocations

Go here
http://www.dougknox..../file_assoc.htm

download the following and run them in the order you download them
EXE File Association Fix (Restore default association for EXE files)
COM File Association Fix (Restore the default associations for COM files) - Thanks to John Hanney
Batch File Association Fix (Restore the default associations for BAT files)

CPL File Association Fix (Restore the default associations for CPL files)
Folder Association Fix (Restore default associations for File Folders)
INF File Association Fix (Restore the default assocation for INF files)
LNK (Shortcut) File Association Fix (Restores Default Shortcut Behavior)
REG File Association Fix (Restore default associations for REG files)

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I re installed windows,I got a load of errors along the way,saying 'windows cannot open this file,please select which program to use to open this file etc etc...

now when i try and boot up,it gets to the win xp screen flashes an error saying something about virtual memory and re starts. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Were you able to run the repair, or did you reinstall Windows?

Boot into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key during boot and choosing the Safe Mode option.

If you are able to boot into windows this way, go to Control Panel and double click the System icon. Click on the "Advanced" tab, then click the "Settings" button in the Performance section. Set the virtual memory to "system managed", "Apply" the change, and click "Ok". See if this eliminates the virtual memory error.

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
hi,yes i clicked repair when doing the windows thing.I didnt re install completely.

I tried booting in safe mode to receive the same problem.thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm thinking the repair didn't go as expected....your mention of several errors pertaining to file associations is a bit troubleing.

I have asked for a few more eyes on this one...stand by.

Advertisements

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
hi,

I have jsut read smoebody having the same problem after installing sp2,he was told to re start in safe mode ( command promt) and run the system restore from their,but mine wont boot in safe mode or safe mode (command prompt).

the comp now just hangs at a black screen after waiting ages for the windows xp files to load it jsut hangs.I think it eventualy re starts after around 10 mins.

thanks for your help so far guys.

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
yeah the windows repair was giving a lot of errors about a load of files in windows/system32/ it was reffering to files such as 'win32.exe' which should be win32.dll right? it was reffering to a lot of files that should be .dll not .exe now i think of it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Well...there's a win32spl.dll...

Can you boot into recovery console using your recovery cd? Something has got the file associations totally messed up. I'm thinking we might try to rebuild the registry hive. Replace Hive

How are you about being inside the case of your machine in case we need to disconnect some nonessential hardware?

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi I tried booting in safe mode command prompt but it was the same problem,going isnide the tower is no problem at all.

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
should i try and do this recover a corrupt registry thing now?