Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fatal Crash

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try booting with the recovery cd as you did when you did the repair. Instead of choosing the repair or install, press R in the first Setup Screen to enter the Recovery Console. Let me know if you are able to di this....

Advertisements

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
going to try now...

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
hi,now i cant get it to boot from cd,I hit enter when it says press any button to boot from cd but it jsut hang on a black screen.

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
are you on AIM or MSN wannabe?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This machine has definitely got a serious problem.

Can you slave the drive in the bad machine in your good machine so we can pull your data?

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
i can but i'm not sure about how i should set them up on the IDE cable,and jumpers etc?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ben...join us in live chat (link at the top of the page)...

There's quite a bit of talent in there right now...let's see if we get any ideas in there.....

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
hi i just realised i may have put the ide cables back incorectly,i have 2,1 for cd drives and 1 for the HD,the 1 for HD is pluged into the furthest left IDE slot on the MB and the CD drive IDE is plugged into the right IDE slot,could this be a problem,or can they work either way?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Your HDD should be connected to the primary IDE channel which would be the one with the lowest number...either 0 or 1...and be connected to the end connector on the cable.

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
hi i have just messed with my IDE cables,i tried every config i can think of and no matter what i cant get my HD to be primary master.and trying to boot from the xp cd it says testing hardware configurations and hangs...

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are we having fun yet???

Connect your HDD to one end of an IDE ribbon and plug the other into the blue IDE on the MoBo.

Connect 1 cd-rom drive to the end of an IDE ribbon and plug the other into the next IDE on the MoBo

Leave the floppy as it is (if it is)

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
that how i have it now,but it;s still registerd as primary slave

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Now, when the machine begins it's boot sequence, tap either the F1 or Delete key to enber BIOS setup. It will tell you on the bottom of the first splash screen which key to press.

Are all of you drives detected in BIOS?

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
yeah they are all detected apart from not how they should be.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Then it's the jumper on the HDD...it needs to be jumpered as Master or possibly Cable Select.