Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Fatal Crash

• Please log in to reply

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
ok got all my drives and HD workin as should...i can now bott from CD..but i forgot what i wanted to boot to cd for lol...

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What happens when you boot without the cd?

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
ok just repaired XP again giving me those same errors along the way and then it does the virtual memory problem and re boots.

thanks

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Morning Ben :tazz:

What you need to do is install the hard drive from the non-working computer as a slave on your working computer. Then boot up the computer and copy over all the files (documents, pictures, music, etc...) that you wish to save. Then put the hard drive back in the computer and do a complete format and install of Windows XP, including deleting the current partition and formatting the drive using NTFS (NOT NTFS (Quick)).

Fenor

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
hi,ok i'l try that later....but my old HD is only 40gb.i gues I can save the most valuable stuff but not everything i need.

isnt their any other soloutions? like re installing xp without deleteing my other files?

and good morning to you too : )

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if you can copy it from the duff PC to the working PC then burn it to disc then delete it from the working PC and copy more and so on

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
No there is no other way. wannabe1 had you try everything, but your computer is just too messed up to be salvagable, which only leaves what I suggested which is a format and reinstall of windows.

Remember that when you are backing up stuff that you CANNOT backup programs, so you will only really need to backup your MY DOCUMENTS folder (C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents). The programs you will need to reinstall yourself again once windows is installed.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 12 February 2006 - 06:28 AM.

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi,

i now have the 'bad' HD connected to my pc which i'm using now...

I can browse thru all the files on my 'bad'HD fine.

I had a look for a file that gave an error during the XP repair 'rundl32.exe' which should be rundl32.dll but it isnt in the windows/system32 folder?

maybe if i repair windows xp again and write down all the errors it gives and then copy from my good HD maybe this will work?

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
i just ran a disck check and it returned no errors,i'm now defragging it

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if you get anywhere with this

http://support.micro...kb/310396/en-us

Advertisements

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
ok i'l try that in a bit...on my good hard drive which also has XP the rundl32.dll is in the windows/system32 folder..so surely this is the problem? missing dll files in the system32 folder.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I won't comment too much because I have only jumped on when the hard work has already been done

Obviously, if one version has a file and another does not, it won't help but running the procedure to replace run32 should help, but the drive will need to be in the PC you intend to run it on

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Guys! Thanks for jumping in here in my absence...I appreciate it and I know Ben does, too. I have to be off to work for a few hours this morning, but will be back a little later to see how things are going. :tazz:

Ben...Fenor's right about the hard drive. I was up till 2:30 this morning trying to find an easier route to take with this...to no avail. Your drive has problems at a fundamental level. Something is causing the errors and is causing file association problems in the OS...I've never seen one behave quite the way yours does. The only way to be assured of ending up with a stable machine is a format and clean install. Sorry, but without knowing exactly what has caused the problem, it's best to rid the machine of the problem entirely. A format will accomplish this.

Keith's suggestions are solid, too, if you go that route. But, I fear you will have problems again in the near future as what ever caused this before may still be a factor.

My recommendation? Pull your data and start from scratch. When XP is running right it's a great operating system...when it's buggered, it's a bear.

Think about it, Ben...it's your choice and you have plenty of information (and experience...now) to make an informed decision. :)

wannabe1

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
'm still de fraging,but it's looking good..it is moving files like data1.cab which was in an eror when i tried installing the recovery system,and mainly it's moving a file called pagefile.sys ! this could be the answer,after suddenly turningthe comp off maybethe files got mixed and messed up?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're making it tough to leave for work, Ben.... :tazz: I hope you pull this off!