Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PNY GeForce 6 6200 help Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply

andrewsexton

andrewsexton

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hi,

I have just recently bought a PNY GeForce 6 6200 help Graphics Card thinking it would be one of the top video cards I realised it said 64-bit. Does this meen my CPU has to be 64bit. I am having real problems with it basically games do work properly and keep on flickering plus in windows the mouse pointer keeps on sticking. Any ideas?

Andrew

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
had to look that one up...according to the system requirements of the 128mb card (you didn't specify between 128 or 256)...there's no mention of needing the 64 bit architecture within the os...i believe it's referencing it's own processor architecture as the video card has it's own processor on it....now...PLEASE don't qupte me on any of this as i'm not a hardware geek....though..i'm sure our resident hardware geeks (*waves at scott and jrm) will probably come rolling through here soon...i just wanted to get you a prelimenary answer to tide you over.

I am having real problems with it basically games do work properly and keep on flickering plus in windows the mouse pointer keeps on sticking. Any ideas?

games do work or don't work?
have you updated the drivers for the card?
how bout the drivers for your mouse?

andrewsexton

andrewsexton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hi,

Its a 256mb card. Ive updated all the drivers etc. I have taken all the cards out sound, firewire etc. I also had a look at the cpu and it was very hot. Could this be the problem?

Andrew

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the cpu being very hot can cause ALOT of problems...define VERY hot

andrewsexton

andrewsexton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
They grey stuff on the cpu is melting a little bit if that means anything.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the thermal paste?

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php can you download and install that and report back with your temps?

andrewsexton

andrewsexton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Attached is a screenshot.

Andrew

Attached Thumbnails

• fan.JPG

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
TURN OFF THE COMPUTER....102C is not good at all...you need to clean off the processor fan, clean all the "grey stuff" off...and replace the grey stuff...(thermal compound) either get a good quality thermal paste or pad...if you use thermal paste...don't put too much...if you put too much...it's just like not having any

andrewsexton

andrewsexton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Is that why games, dvds etc pause and flicker a bit. Do i need a new CPU?

Andrew

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
those temps (especially at relative idle) could cause any number of problems....i can't say whether you need a new processor yet...but...if you keep running it at that temp...you will...

andrewsexton

andrewsexton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
What is temp 2? its at 102!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrew