Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DELL printer drivers in 98

• Please log in to reply

claux2840

claux2840

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi. I have a Dell Printer J740 that came bundled with my Dell Dimension 4600C. This printer is shared. I would like to use it on a system with Win 98 installed (over the network), but I cant seem to find any 98 drivers for this printer anywhere. Here is my network layout: (this isnt really code but it wont look right without the codebox)

Win98 system		  Dell J740 Printer
								~						 |
								~						 |
Internet -> Cable Modem -> Linksys Router --Wired to-- Dell 4600C
								~
								~
					wirelessly connected laptops, etc

~~  =  wireless link

--Wired to--  =  ethernet cable

| = usb cable
Any suggestions on how to get this printer working with 98?

Advertisements

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
As far as I can tell its a universal driver
Download from here.

Driver Link

claux2840

claux2840

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I've tried this method with both the Add New Printer wizard and the installation program with the driver. With the Add New Printer method it says the .INF file tells the printer, but doesn't have any information about the printer (e.g. which drivers to copy, etc.) In the installation program that comes with the file, it says there are no drivers for this operating system. I do know, however, that Lexmark makes nearly all of the Dell printers, so if there are Lexmark drivers for a printer like this one for 98...

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

According to Dell, the J740 printer only supports Windows 2000 & XP, which is why there is no win98 driver provided.

I suppose its possible there may be a Lexmark driver for 98 but you'd have to know which Lexmark model the Dell J740 is equivalent to.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Apparently, Lexmark Z11 CJ3911LE.exe should install