Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank Screen on Startup

• Please log in to reply

edaveg

edaveg

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi folks, sorry if i'm posting this in the wrong place.

I'm having a major problem with the system I built myself from scratch. Firstly, i'm getting the old 'checksum error' on startup, it says it has loaded the defaults then I have to press F1 to continue. This isn't a huge deal for me, but the problem is that nothing happens after I press F1. The screen goes blank and stays that way. The motor is still running.

The strange thing is that it worked just fine earlier today - I moved the machine (very gently) across the room and now it doesn't work. I can't even get it to boot from my XP installation disc.

Please help me, what with one thing or another I have been waiting 3 months to get this [bleep] machine to work!

Thanks kind people,

Davo.

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Clear the Cmos and try getting into the bios and change any settings you wish and see if that works

(if you need instructions to properly clear the cmos with the removal of the motherboard battery please post back here and someone will be able to instruct you :tazz:)

achilles becqx

achilles becqx

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hi,
I agree with Soxrock.
U have to open up the tower box,,,,look into the motherboard...at the botton right corner of the motherboard u will find a cmos battery which will be in a shape of a tablet. it can be horizontally laid down or can be vertically standing on a jacket...carefully take it out and keep it out for 5 mins or more and then put that back in,,,try to load bios and restore defaults on ur bios and restart ur computer,,,, u will be able to restart it,,,in case u r not then the computer motherboard is most probably gone for a toss but i would suggest u to wait for a senior geek to supervise on my advice of motherboard being bad
Best of luck :tazz: