Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

POP3 email account error while using AOL

• Please log in to reply

andrewsexton

andrewsexton

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hi all,

I am trying to send an email using a external pop 3 account via outlook. My ISP is AOL. Any ideas why it wont let me? Is there a way round this problem? I have attached a screen shot of the error im getting.

cheers

Andrew

Attached Thumbnails

• email.JPG

Advertisements

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Ok first of all AOL isnt POP3. AOL is IMAP.

1.make an IMAP account with all your details entered.

2.Incoming server is imap.aol.com

3.Outgoing server is smtp.aol.com

4.click on the IMAP folder and then download all folders an it should work.

andrewsexton

andrewsexton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hi,

It works fine but when I delete emails it doesnt it just puts a line through the email. Any ideas? Also how do i get the emails to show up first and not the personel folder bit?

Thanks

Andrew

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Ok the line through the email is a really annoying thing that cant be changed because of some sort of thing on AOL server even when you change the setting for leaving mails on the server. What you should do is download a different E-mail client like Incredimail this is a great application and sets up the AOL account itself. I'm not really sure why Outlook Express doesn't work with AOl but it is very annoying and horrible.