Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP will not install on ME operated Desktop

• Please log in to reply

rkats

rkats

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok, So I have ME on my desktop. I get halfway through the xp install and I get a blue screen and get an error that says to make sure recently installed programs are installed properly and that if I have had this message before (which I have) to check the BIOS memory caching and shadowing???
What is this?
I just want to install XP on one of my hard drives. I have C and D

Thank you!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi rkats...

First we need to decide which drive you want XP on and if you want to be able to use ME or if the drive with ME will be used for data storage. Essentially, do you want to be able to boot to either operating system or will you be using XP exclusively?

wannabe1

rkats

rkats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thank you. Well it would be nice to have C as storage (ME) and D as the XP.
Is that possible?

rkats

rkats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Oh, can I reboot on either OS or is that not desirable?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Whichever drive XP goes on is going to become drive C as C is the root directory and XP installs there by default. It's just a matter of names.

If we install right now, without swapping hard drives around, you will have XP on the current C drive and the D drive will remain unchanged. With a failed install already on C, I would be tempted to use that one for XP...unless the data on that drive must be recovered. To recover the data at this point we would have to change the hard drives around and slave the current C drive to the D drive and try to recover the files using the ME now installed on D. (You said you had ME on both drives, correct?)

OR...with the drives switched as just mentioned, we could install XP on D (which will become C) and try to recover the data on D (currently C) using XP. :)

Unfortunately, neither option is a sure thing for recovering the data. That why backing up before upgrading is so important. We all learn the hard way about backups...believe me, we've all been in your shoes. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We can make it a dual boot system, but we'll have to edit the boot.ini file to do that. Unless you really must use the ME, the benefits of a dual boot system is negligable.

rkats

rkats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Well, I'm not sure what to do. D is just storage at the moment. C has all the programs on it which some I can't replace because I don't have the softwear anymore. So, I guess i would like to have XP on D for now.
With a clean install does it pay any attention to the BIOS? That has been a problem with the motherboard being a Giga-Byte Tech and the Bios being AMI as far as upgrading. It was custom built years ago and upgraded. It all gets confusing which is which...
I have a laptop that was custom built too and had no problem upgrading to XP on it.

rkats

rkats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
If it isn't a dual boot system can I still get info off the other drive? If so ....no I don't need dual boot.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have a look at This Webpage...does it look like your version of BIOS?

rkats

rkats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
No. That's the thing i don't understand. I can't get to any of that. Just the BIOS flash protection (enabled or-Auto) How do you get to the shadow and cache settings?

Advertisements

rkats

rkats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
The motherboard is a Giga-Byte Technologys GA7VRXP1 version 1. Does that help? I guess the BIOS is set for the motherboard?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's what I'm trying to figure out. I've never seen a BIOS setup that couldn't be configured. There has got to be a way to get to the BIOS settings, we just have to figure out how.

Let's try several options that I have run across and see if we can get any of them to work. :tazz:

Restart the machine and tap the F1 key about once a second

Restart the machine and tap the F2 key about once a second

Restart the machine and tap the F12 key about once a second

Restart the machine and tap the Delete key about once a second

Restart the machine and tap the Esc key about once a second

Restart the machine, press and hold the Insert key (PrtScn...upper right on most keyboards)

If none of these work, we'll move on to some of the older methods.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm downloading the manual for your motherboard....we'll see if that helps... :tazz:

rkats

rkats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
With the delete key I get to the AMIBIOS simple setup utility. If I click on the "BIOS Features Setup" is just has
BIOS FLASH Protection-Auto/enable
1st boot device
2nd boot device
3rd boot device
floppy drive seek
bootup numlock
password check
S.M.A.R.T for hard disk
Interupt Mode
Should I have clicked another menu in the previous window? Such as...
Standard Cmos
Bios Features setup (the one I opened)
Chipset...
Power...
PNP/PCI
Load Fail-safe...
ETC...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Alrighty then...

Press Esc immediately after powering on to enter BIOS setup.
Your Motherboard Manual (PDF format...you'll need Adobe Reader)

Edited by wannabe1, 11 February 2006 - 11:50 PM.