Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry file failure, now got 2 versions of windows!

• Please log in to reply

DaveGuyan

DaveGuyan

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi,

Hope you are having a good day.

I am having a real panic!

Here is the details of my problem...and questions...I really hope you can help.

Compter is a Compaq Armada M700, intel pentium 3....and I am operating using Windows XP Professional....or i was til earlier....

then, when i turned on comp, it would not start properly...took me to a screen which said ' sorry for inconvenience, windows has not started properly'...this then gave me options for starting, safe mode, safe promt mode...last good mode, etc...i went through them all and nothing managed to progress starting beyond the following error messages.....

stop : c0000128 (registry file failure)
The registry cannot load the hive (file)
System root\system32\config
It or its log is corrupt, absent or not writeable
Beginning dump of physical memory
physical dump complete

this did not actually do anythig and i was just taken back to the 'sorry for inconvenience' screen...

another error screen told me that 'windows could not start because file System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys......was corrupt or missing..

I then got my windows disk and accidently loaded up windows HOME, rather than professional.......and now i have an option when i start my computer....

1 to use the professional...which fails , as above

or 2 to use windows home...which is working...but presents me with problems.

The problem is that some files/programs dont work by going on using my HOME package....ie virus protections..

Also, I have limited memory space, I have 'copied' all my music across, so i can use it on the new HOME windows...but i have barley any space left.

OK, SO WHAT DO I WANT TO DO......well, I would like to know how to uninstall or fix the broken windows PROFESSIONAL.....or probably easier...how do i migrate everything that i need from the 'broken windows onto my 'working windows.

I now have 1% space on comp and as is laptop, I cannot increase memory....i woudl like to remove the windows that does not work....

Really hope you can assist

Dave

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi DaveGuyan...Hi DaveGuyan... :tazz:

Ok...I take it you'd like to keep the Pro version if we can get it working, right? I've never done one quite this way, but we should be able to sort this out.

Put your XP Pro cd in the drive and restart...let it boot from the cd. When presented with the OS options, choose the XP Pro installation and run this REPAIR to your installation of XP Pro. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

Once that is done, and you are able to startup using XP Pro or, if you run into problems with the procedure, let me know.

Next we'll get about removing the unwanted installation.

wannabe1

DaveGuyan

DaveGuyan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
thanks for your reply....I have lost my professional eddition during a move (thats why i used my home eddition)....can this be done without my pro eddition cd? or can i buy a new one? i am happy enough to carry on with the home eddition. yesterday, the new working version of windows home gave up and i had to put on a new eddition of home.

so now i have xp pro (not respionding to anything) and 1 home (broken also, task bar gone, low memory errors, prc server not available)...and one good version of home xp (although have lost/corrupted most of my programs).

now will be happy to just get everything off, so that only have one version of windows that worsk...not bothered which one...i will let you decide.

i will stop trying to 'help' myself...and only do what you tell me!! as at the mo, its getting worse.

Dave

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
DaveGuyan...

Do you have files on the machine that you need to recover? Or can you even access files in the broken installations?

We have a couple of options at this point...

1) We can remove the non-functional operating systems. With three operating systems now on the machine, this will be quite a long process. It can be done though, and I'll be happy to walk you through it if that's what you wish to do.

2) We can wipe the drive and do a clean install of XP...version of your choice.

Because some of the issues you describe are suspicious to me...possibly symptoms of malware...I would personally opt for the second choice.

In either case, we'll need a Windows XP installation cd that has not been installed on another machine. This is because Microsoft's EULA (End User License Agreement) only allows XP to be installed to one machine per copy purchased. They won't activate Windows if the product key has already been registered.

Let me know which way you want to go and we'll get you fixed up!

wannabe1

DaveGuyan

DaveGuyan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
ok, what ur saying explains me not getting windows registered as its reg to my other machine.

i have my whole music collection on the machine (about 6gb)...i can access the files...but only once i copy them from 1 windows to the next which works..and i had to download a licence to allow me to do this.

questions :

i take it if i wipe the drive that nothing will be left at all? and i cant somehow ringfence the music files?

to confirm, i need to go and buy another windows package, yeah? (do u recommend one?)

if you let me know about the music question, ie will it go?...i will then take the plunge and decide one or other way.....i will need a day to go buy windows too.

thanks for you help, its really appreciated

Dave

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok, Dave...

The best way to do this and maintain the integrity of your music files is the process I suggested in my first post, although it is now a bit more complicated with the addition of yet another operating system... :tazz:

What I hope to accomplish is this: We'll repair the WinXP Pro installation, make sure it is free of malware, and move your files to this installation. Then, one at a time, we'll remove the two unwanted XP Home installations. We'll then edit the boot.ini file to remove all references to the XP Home installations.

This procedure is a bit involved, but is not terribly difficult. We should be able to pull it off.

You will need a retail version of XP Pro.

wannabe1

DaveGuyan

DaveGuyan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
ok, I have purchased windows xp professional...awaiting delivery...I will be in contact once arrives...if you have initial instrucions for me for when it arrives, you can let me know.

Dave

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Post in when it arrives

DaveGuyan

DaveGuyan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
the windows xp pro has arrived.

Dave

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok, Dave...Here we go...

Using your new XP Pro installations CD, run the Repair I suggested in post #2. Repair only the original installation of XP Pro and follow the instructions provided in the link carefully. It will appear as if it's doing a fresh setup, but it will actually delete and then reeplace all the system files.

Once the repair has completed, I need for you to boot to the Pro (not the cd, the repaired installation) and, through My Computer, "Explore" the C: drive. How many Windows folders are listed? List the names here for me (they should be named Windows, Windows.1, Windows.2, but this is not always the case...double check this for me.)

One of our Malware experts (loophole) has kindly agreed to jump on this for us, so let's make sure the installation is clean. Download HiJackThis, run it on the repaired installation, and post a log in the Malware Forum. Post a link to that topic here for me and I will notify loophole that we are ready to clean it up. At this point, I would prefer that you not run any cleanup tools that look at the registry so just post the log and we'll let loophole decide what needs to be done.

Once we have the "All Clear" from loophole, we'll get about recovering your files and removing the unwanted installations.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 15 February 2006 - 08:29 AM.

Advertisements

DaveGuyan

DaveGuyan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
wannabe1,

ok, i ran the repair as requested...went smoothly enough i think...one part where it stopped....here are the details

(Setup cannot copy the file MsPMSNS.dll c:\windows\registered Packages\(30C7234B-6482-4A55-A11D-ECD9030313F2) Ensure that the location specified below is correct or change it and insert windows media files in the drive you specify)

I did not know where to browse to...so i cancelled and it finished.

Number of windows versions :

There are 3 versions of windows...windows...windows.0 and windows.1

I have run hijackthis...adn am about to post a call in that forum.

cheers for now

Dave

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Well done! :tazz:

Now we'll let loophole do his thing. Post a link to that topic here for me and we'll get things rolling.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 15 February 2006 - 06:15 PM.

DaveGuyan

DaveGuyan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
malware link for you

http://www.geekstogo...0&gopid=566928

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Great...I'll PM loophole with the link.

In the XP Pro installation, can you see all your files? Can you open them?

We need to verify which Windows folder we want to keep...click Start then Run and type %windir%...then click "OK". Which of the three Windows folders opens? (I'm hoping it's C:\Windows)

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 15 February 2006 - 07:12 PM.

DaveGuyan

DaveGuyan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
yes in xp pro, i can see and open my files.

OK.... Start then Run and type %windir%...then click "OK". Results in C:\Windows opening...as you hoped.

Dave