Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry file failure, now got 2 versions of windows!

• Please log in to reply

DaveGuyan

DaveGuyan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
ok, I only see the 2 tho.

currently the activX is downlaoding....will know soon if its worked...

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:tazz: :) :) :)

DaveGuyan

DaveGuyan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
hi Wannabe1,

sorry to keep you waiting in suspense!!

i tried downloading this last night..and had to wait between 2.30am to about 3.45...before the blooming connection went and I gave up!!

I began download not long ago...and to my joy, it began at 98% where it had stopped...so its done now!! The kapersky tool has run on my computer and the results are posted below.

I think it was the update to the shockwave file that did it finally!! :) :) :)

I will go update Loophole.

Can you advise me on a couple of final things....

There are several folders in explorer under programs, which are not listed under control panel, add/remove programs...most are old unused programs....and if i try to delete them in explorer, i am not allowed to do this....is there a way to do this? I would just like to tidy things up and save space.

There is also one program called 'trust 120 spacec@m' which i cant remove from control panel, add/remove...no idea what it is either.

Finally, can you advise of how oftten i should be scanning for malware...and of a process of the different downloads i have...ie do i need them all, or which ones would be good to run in which order? (avt, clean disk, defragment? spybot, kapersky, killbox, ewildo, shredder etc etc

Any top tips for space saving?

Well chuffed to be this far down the road...1 week ago my laptop was a shambles, 3 versions of windows, hard drive full, and it looked to be full of viruses and problems....i am so grateful to be operational again. (Do you guys get paid? or do u just do for the satisfaction?) You certainlly have a very very satisfied customer here...thanks thanks thanks :tazz: :) :)

Dave

Attached Files

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:) <---Been waiting to use the woot guy.... :)

there are several folders in explorer under programs

Check to see if they are listed in the Startup Menu. If they are, do they have an uninstaller listed with them? If they are not listed, they are probably no longer installed and can be deleted. The problem you have is that Explorer is in use. Try deleting them using Move On Boot.

trust 120 spacec@m

Ever had a webcam installed? That's what this is for...

Finally, can you advise of how oftten i should be scanning for malware

loophole will have something for you in this regard.

(Do you guys get paid? or do u just do for the satisfaction?)

We all volunteer our help here...no pay, but then again, your last post says it all for me...we like to help! :)

Once loophole finishes with you, do the following just to tidy things up a bit...that poor HDD has been through the wringer a couple of times in the last week.... :tazz:

You can now delete some of the files I had you create...the Boot.ini backup can go, as can any old log files and reports generated during the fix. You can now also go back through the thread and edit out the reports. This is a good idea for security concerns. Some of the programs we used can also be uninstalled...Everest and SWI for example. (these are really handy apps, though...you could always burn the downloaded file to a cd and hang on to them...) Then....
  • Empty the Recycle Bin
  • Run Disk Cleanup from System Tools
  • Boot into Safe Mode and run Disk Defragmenter from System Tools
  • Turn System Restore off and then back on...then set a new restore point
Once you have completed these, please post back with how the machine is behaving. I think we have a "Done Deal" on this end!

If you are pleased with the help you have received, or even if you're not, please consider dropping us a line in the Comments and Suggestions Forum.

Well Done, Dave!!!! :)

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 19 February 2006 - 11:56 AM.

DaveGuyan

DaveGuyan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi Wannabe1,

The system is running great, very, very happy with it. All music is working fine too. Clean bill of health from Loophole too, so all round good result.

Hopefully last question here...I have many many files under windows (blue) called $Ntuninstalk B8858.....$.....are these meant to be here, or shall I delete them?

Dave

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Dave.

That's great! That was kind of a wierd one to sort out... :)

The files you mentioned should be held on to. They aren't necesarily "critical" but you'd probably live to regret removing them. These are backup system files, updates, and hot fixes. You can hide them by clicking "Tools" from any Windows folder's toolbar and clicking on "Folder Options". Under the "View" tab, in "Files and folders", select "Do not show hidden files and folders". "Apply" the change. Out of site...out of mind. :tazz:

Because you don't have a lot of space on the Hard Drive, I'm going to recommend that you:
  • Keep Avast...it uses less space on the drive and is way less of a resource hog than Norton.
  • Stay on top of the Temporary Internet Files...empty that folder a couple of times a month.
  • Run Disk Cleanup and Defragment the drive at least once a month.
10 Gigs isn't much to start with, but if you keep it cleaned up it will last you a while.

I'm glad we were able to assist you with this, Dave. You did a great job of following the instructions given for a quite complex problem. :)

If you have any further problems or questions, Come On Back!

wannabe1