Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what can I do?

• Please log in to reply

alexroa54

alexroa54

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
okay so I want to put a movie on my ipod but when I put the movie on my computer, they are divided into chapters. so is there a program or a way to put the chapters together so that there is only 1 file per movie insted of like 10?
thanks.

Advertisements

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
Hi,

Is this movie from a DVD you purchased at the shops?

alexroa54

alexroa54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
yeah its a dvd from a store

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
Hi,

When you buy a DVD from a store, that gives you a single home use licence to watch that on your DVD player. If you want to copy the DVD to your IPOD this is in violation of the copyright laws, so I can't help you on that one. sorry.

What you can do is buy the movie from the itunes music/video store, this will give you a licence to watch it on the IPOD.

alexroa54

alexroa54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
even though I bought the movie?
ok thanks

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

Are you 100% about this? I thought the catch for putting movies onto the iPod was that sometime in the process of putting the legally purchased DVD movie onto the iPod was that you must have illegally circumvented the copy protection measures during the process. Is the home use license specifically define your set-top DVD player? If so, this would make it illegal for me to watch the original DVD on my home PC.

Cheers,
Tom

Hi,

When you buy a DVD from a store, that gives you a single home use licence to watch that on your DVD player. If you want to copy the DVD to your IPOD this is in violation of the copyright laws, so I can't help you on that one. sorry.

What you can do is buy the movie from the itunes music/video store, this will give you a licence to watch it on the IPOD.

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
Hi alexroa54,

Yes, sorry. It is against copyright laws to copy the dvd in any form, and that is what you would do if you put it on the IPOD.

Hi Tom,

I would presume that if you can put it in a TV set top DVD player or a computer DVD player for home viewing it is fine.

Its as soon as you copy the disc to the computer that is becomes illegal, as the warning says ".... it is illegal to copy, alter, edit...",

Yes, i agree with you on "illegally circumvented the copy protection".

st22

Edited by st22, 15 February 2006 - 08:06 PM.

alexroa54

alexroa54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
sorry I didn't know I couln't do that thanks