Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't connect to internet and mouse disables on reboot......

• Please log in to reply

Reesie

Reesie

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi!
I am not having a good day! :tazz: I have windows xp and I use IE. I have the service pack 1 because service pack 2 always causes me problems when I've tried to use it. I have a cable modem. I was using zone alarm and started having problems with it awhile back. If I let my computer sit idle for an hour of so, I wouldn't be able to go online. If I turned off Zone Alarm, I didn't have a problem with going on line.
Yeseterday, I had the same problem but I couldn't turn off Zone alarm and I wasn't able to get on line no matter what I tried. So, I uninstalled it. Still no luck! I rebooted, then my Mouse became disabled. The pointer arrow just sits in the middle of the screen and won't move. I have a laser style mouse and the mouse works in safe mode only. I don't know if I have a bug, or if Zone alarm caused this.
My internet connection and box are fine. I am using a old computer right now with the same box. So, I know it's not that. I have tried everything I can think of to get on line and to get my mouse to work.

If you could tell me what to check, I'd appreciate it. I can't give you any hijack logs or anything because I can't get on line with that computer.

I also have Norton if that helps.

Thanks, Reesie

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
in safe mode,

start > run
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

scroll down to your mouse, and uninstall it...reboot.

The mouse should reinstall on reboot.

if that works, we will move on to the other issue