Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RAM giving problems

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I previously had posted on another forum to see whether there could be a solution to my problem. Well, unfortunately none of the suggestions really helped Whenever I used both pairs together my computer kept crashing. Anyway the problem is described in the next bunch of lines.
I purchased my computer in Jan. 2004, at that time I received a pair of 1GB (2x512MB) RAM of Samsung modules - M368L6423ETM - CCC, which run at 3.0-3-3-8 at 2.7V.
In Sept. 2005 I purchased another 1GB (2x512MB) pair of OCZ RAM modules - OCZ4001024ELDCGE-K from Newegg.com which run at 2.5-2-2-7 at 2.775V & well to this date I have been trying to come up with solutions but to be honest nothing has been going my way.
I contacted Newegg & they're willing to replace this pair I purchased from them as it is still under warranty. The thing is, someone told me that these 2 pairs will just not work together no matter what. I didn't quite understand what he/she meant. If I got the pair I purchased from Newegg replaced would there be a chance of the two pairs working together or is that these two certain models will not work together ? Are they not working together because they both run at different timings ?

Here's a look at my attempts to solve this annoying problem:

http://www.bleedined...ead.php?t=17146

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The timins shouldn't matter because the faster stick alters itself to run at the same speed at the slowest one. Not physically mind you but you know what I mean. However in odd cases this just doesn't apply and the board doesn't want to know.

The sticks could also be faulty. As its under warranty, have the sticks replaced. Or get a refund and buy some more of the same as what you have already.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Well that's the thing. According to the manufacturer the slowest the OCZ RAM modules will run at is 2.5-3-3-8 but the Samsung's fastest is 3.0-3-3-8, Samsung's timings cannot be altered one bit. I cannot get a refund only a replacement & just was wondering whether there would be a point of that.
Still think a replacement might solve the problem ?