Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

NEW ADDED RAM DROPS FROM PC3200 TO PC2700

• Please log in to reply

WOLFMAN532

WOLFMAN532

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi I have a hp amd anthlon w/ dual core processors 64x2 at3800+
ati radeon x1800xl 256mb gddr3 pci express graphics card,2.5 hard drive
windows xp.
I started with 1.0 gig of ram [2- 512] and just purchased 2 more pc3200 512s
kingston hyper ram -cl2 my bios changed from the original pc3200 down to
pc2700 and all 4 sticks of ram are showing a total of 2 gigs
why did my actual speed drop to 2700 and my gaming frame rates dropped
drastically,when i pull the new ram back out everything is back up and running normal.
and i cant actually change my ram or processor speed,did i purchase the wrong
ram. i dont see any conflicts anywhere. any ideas welcome. Thank You

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G Wolfman532

It doesn't sound like you purchased the wrong ram, although you could try running the two new sticks on their own, just to make sure.

I suspect you might find that the reason for the drop in FSB is this :
A lot a new motherboards seem to have a common flaw - when you fill all the memory slots on the board, especially if the installed ram is equal to the total amount of ram supported & is running at the max supported FSB, one of two things can happen :
1) Either the RAM FSB drops or
2) Not all the ram is recognised

(1) appears to be the most common outcome. Have a look on HP's website & see if this is a known problem for your particular system. If it is, you may even find that there's a bios update available to fix it.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Quite a lot of boards now don't like it if you put too many modules in and try to run them all at the highest speed going.

You'll probably find that in order to make up 2Gb of memory at PC3200, you have to go down the route of two 1Gb sticks instead. But as you have an HP machine, there's no guarantee that this is going to be able to be possible either as OEM machines are often limited in terms of upgradability in their efforts to force you onto the next incarnation of their products.

You could also try the new sticks on their own to see if they come up at PC3200.

WOLFMAN532

WOLFMAN532

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
THANKS FOR THE REPLYS,I CHECKED WITH THE HP WEBSITES NO UPDATES OR PROBLEMS KNOWN
I PULLED THE 2 ORIGINAL SAMSUNG 512 STICKS OUT AND LEFT THE 2 KINGSTONS IN AND IN BIOS THE PC3200 SHOWS UP OK AND FRAME RATES ARE UP TO PAR,SO I AM GGOING TO ORDER 2 MORE KINGSTON CHIPS TO SEE WHATS GOING ON IT CAN BE A COMPATABILITY ISSUE,THANKS AGAIN AND I WILL UPDATE ON THIS PROBLEM BY NEXT WEEKEND

Darryl

Darryl

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Probably your motherboard. As Samm said, on some boards if you fill your ram slots the speed of your ram will drop.