Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

removing old OS

• Please log in to reply

roxybaby

roxybaby

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
First off, thanks for all the help you've given me so far!

I just upgraded a Dell Dimension L667r to Windows XP home from Win 98SE. Originally the person I reformatted the computer for wanted to keep both operating systems, but the computer only has 10 gig of harddrive space on it and now she would like me to take Win 98SE off. Is there a way to delete it without reformatting again? I'm not sure where to go in BIOS.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

polopolo

polopolo

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
This info is orginal for windows 2000.
This info is from Help and Support center.

To remove Windows 98, start Windows xp and then delete the folder that contains Windows 98 (by default, this is the C:\Windows folder on the local hard disk).

NOTE: If there are any programs installed in Windows 98, you may want to uninstall these programs before deleting the folder.

You also need to manually edit the Boot.ini file to remove Windows 98 from the list of boot options.

To edit the Boot.ini file:
  • In Windows Explorer, click Folder Options on the View menu.
  • On the View tab, click Show All Files, and then click OK.
  • Click the root folder of the local hard disk, right-click the Boot.ini file, and then click Properties.
  • Click to clear the Read-Only, Hidden, and System check boxes, and then click OK.
  • Open the Boot.ini file in Notepad.
  • Remove any entries that no longer point to valid installations of Windows.
  • Save the changes to the Boot.ini file, and then restore its attributes. To restore the file's attributes, repeat steps 3 and 4, but click to select the check boxes.

Edited by spywarekiller, 12 February 2006 - 01:03 PM.

roxybaby

roxybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok, let me make sure I understand before I do this. Are you saying that I should delete the Windows folder on my C drive? (I'm sorry, I know this may be a silly question.)

Also, how would I go about removing the programs installed on windows 98? If I go into add/remove programs on the control panel, none of the programs are listed. But if I go into my program files folder in XP, all of the programs from windows 98 are still in there.

Edited by roxybaby, 12 February 2006 - 05:01 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's hold off on deleting the Windows folder for the moment...XP installs to that directory, too.

Take a look at the C: Directory..(My Computer > Local Disk C:)...How many Windows folders do you see?

wannabe1

roxybaby

roxybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I see one windows folder.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This was an XP upgrade, correct?

When XP installs as an upgrade, it installs to the same directory as Win98 so many of Win98's files have been overwritten by XP. There's probably not a whole lot left of Win98 on the machine and what is left is not really taking up much space.

If you need more storage, the best way to go is with a larger hard drive or an external HDD.

wannabe1

roxybaby

roxybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes, it was an upgrade.

I guess my concern stems from the fact that I have only have one program installed on the harddrive (AVG antivirus), but 7.85 gig of the harddrive is full, which seems like an awful lot. I realize 10 gig isn't a lot of space. Can I delete the folders in program files, since the programs are no longer on the computer?

Thanks for all of your help! It has been a great guide for me. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.

If a program you want to delete from the Program Files folder is not listed in Add or Remove, It can probably be deleted. If it IS listed, it must be uninstalled first.

Hint: When you delete a folder that way, always delete to the recycle bin and restart a few times to make sure there are no ill effects...if everything is cool, delete it from the recycle bin. That way, if there is a problem, you can restore the folder.

wannabe1

roxybaby

roxybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok, that freed up over 3 gig of space. Thanks again for your time and patience. I got in a bit over my head here, and I really appreciate your help.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure, roxybaby... :tazz:

You might run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter from System Tools now and finish cleaning it up and pack the files. Should be good as new after that.

wannabe1