Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP won't start, keeps rebooting

• Please log in to reply

eas52687

eas52687

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

My laptop has Windows XP on it, and I can't get it to start up. I've been having problems starting it up for the past few months, but I tried to ignore it. It would take on average 20 minutes to start up. Now I can't get it to start up at all. It goes to the screen where it asks you if u want to start it in safe mode or normally, and I can't get it to do either. Right after that screen, no matter what I select, my laptop automatically restarts. Is there anything I can do to fix this other than replace my hard drive?

Thanks
Erica

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use these to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, type Y then press enter and as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update