Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

second HDD

• Please log in to reply

ernieh

ernieh

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
i just added a 2nd HDD to my computer a little bit ago and need to find out how to do something w/ it

i want to move all of windows to the new one because it is faster and then i want to use the second one as an overflow cuz it is a slower one. right now all of windows is on the slow one

how do i do this, i dont want to have to reinstall windows

Edited by ernieh, 12 February 2006 - 01:37 PM.

Advertisements

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
GHOST or ACRONIC
These two program are both good for your purpose.
You will have to pay but one of them will serve you for long time.
I tried them both and they are great.

ernieh

ernieh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
are you talking about norton ghost or is ghost the whole name of it
and can you post a link to one or both of them so i can read up on them
and what does this invole doing making a ghost of my windows only HDD and then putting the ghost on the other and formating the one that had windows on it i dont really know i am just guessing tell me how this works

Edited by ernieh, 12 February 2006 - 06:31 PM.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Norton GhostPE and up.
-install it on a bootable floppy made by XP
-Plug your 2nd HD into as you supposed to
-boot system up using that floppy
-DIR and call GhostPE up
-Choose HD to HD
-Pick souce HD
-Pick destination HD
-confirm that you wanted to do it and hit Enter.
-After it done, back to Dos
-NOW YOU HAVE TWO IDENTICAL HD AS YOU CAN TAKE OUT THE OLD ONE AND SYSTEM STILL BOOT UP WITHOUT GLITCH.
Hope that is Enough for you. good luck.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
-The instuction I give you is for Ghost PE. Other version may slightly differrence.
-Be very carefull when you choose souce and destination because there is no return after you hit enter.
Good luck.

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Acronis True Image:

http://backupsoftrev...iews/product05/

Step by step recommendation for ATI:
(it works under Windows)
1)Plug in second drive to your comp.
2)Select Clone Disk option
3)Choose Automatic or Manual mode (automatic is recommended)
3)Select sourced disk
4)Select destination disk
5) If destination disk is already partitioned it is necessary to delete partitions - chose proper option
6) then you can choose whether to erase or keep information on sources disk after cloning
7) you can also choose - how to copy disk - As is or proportional expanding it according new disk size.

Commit operations.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
here you go , you've got all the options.
I use both.
-Ghost is very reliable but it take abit more knowlage and work but again it been around for some time and has never fail on me. I use it to back up my Opperating system and importance stuff.
- Acronic has the luxury of using external through USB, very convenience but in my use it fails some time so I use it to back up the rest. But keep in mind that the failure rate is very low percentage. I run in to the failures probably because I use them alots that most of user may never run in to in their whole year.
Go ahead, do it !!!!!

ernieh

ernieh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
i also have a partion on the slower HDD (the one with windows) that has linux on it will norton ghost copy that and move it to the other or not. and i dont know if you know about linux but will GRUB still work if it does not copy the linux partion

Edited by ernieh, 13 February 2006 - 08:59 PM.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
no knowlage what so ever about Linux. Never tried myself but I thing it would do it. Not remember when or what it was but there was one time I ran into some thing that Ghost as me some thing like " ghost does not know what it is but do I want to go ahead clone anyway...." I say yes and it just go ahead and the result was fine.
On other hand there is nothing to lose???!!! When you run ghost, it only see the destination HD as a emty HD. Give it a try, If it doesn't work you can alway get it rewrite for windows part only. I 99.99% think that it will do no damage to your new or old HD.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Since both make a bit-by-bit copy of the drive, whatever is on the first drive will transfer to the second drive, provided you select the entire drive and not just the partition

I have never had a failure with Acronis 8.0, but from what I read the failure rate for v9.0 is higher...not sure why that would be, but there was not enough reason for me to upgrade so I am sticking with 8.0 The drawback for 8 or 9 is that it cannot back up to DVD.

There are also a number of freebie solutions--here is a list

http://www.thefreeco...pandimage.shtml

Of them, I have only used Partimage, but DriveImage XML looks promising. the only drawback is that unlike Acronis, you would have to image the disk, restore to a new drive and then use another utility to enlarge the partition....Acronis does it all in one step for you. I have not used Norton Ghost since version 6 so I do not know if it does this now, but the feature is very useful when transferring an OS to a larger drive...

Advertisements

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Didnt you new HD come with that utility? My seagate drive did. And another thing you might not want to keep the old drive plugged in as itll slow the system down as a whole. I ran into that same issue when I installed my new HD, where one has 16mb cache and the other has a 2mb cache. All I can say is WOW at how much faster the new drive made my comp run. When I had both plugged in it definitly ran noticably slower.
-Pete.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Having the second drive on the system should not slow it down unless you're accessing it...I have not encountered that.

Would this problem present itself if you put the second drive on a different controller?

ernieh

ernieh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
what about the file system. linux uses ext3 and windows uses ntfs will eiether program be ale to work with that

and to p-zero, i bought the drive OEM so it came w/ absolotly nothing

Edited by ernieh, 14 February 2006 - 04:27 PM.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Just do it. It works or it doesn't work you will find out in about half an hour. If it does not work you can alway get it redone. I don't see no danger unless you mistakenly over write your good drive and that only result from picking out the wrong SOUCE/ DESTINATION.
This is exact how it work( From Gerriff):
"Since both make a bit-by-bit copy of the drive, whatever is on the first drive will transfer to the second drive, provided you select the entire drive and not just the partition"
Nothing is better than experience things your self and knowing it will not gonna hurt nothing. Don't forget to post back the result since we helping and learning from one other here at the same time.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Yes, there is no reason it shouldn't work since we're talking a CLONE of the disk...we're not talking about copying files individually, but making an exact duplicate of the drive. Diskimaging software does not even read files, per se, but reads the bits that make files

You should be good to go unless there is something very odd here...for example, a hidden partition of some sort...but, I can tell you I have done this with disks with hidden partitions and dual boot machines