Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank screen when application opens new window

• Please log in to reply

ursahoribl

ursahoribl

• Pip
  • 9 posts
A few days ago an unknown error or other problem cropped up on my Toshiba notebook. Whenever any application using Internet Explorer attempts to open a new window all I see is a blank white frame with the appropriate title bar and "done" in the task bar. I have spent hours scanning through Windows forums and have found nothing resembling my problem.

The more notable applications that have exhibited this phenomena are:
Windows update
Windows media player
Attempts to update from microsoft.com

Other symptoms have included:
Unable to paste clipboard contents into email applications
Failure of web-based games to move from their home page to the active game page.
One game site reports security settings are blocking cookies and scripts.
Real Applications (arcade, player) report java scripts unavailable.

Following recommendations found in Microsoft's knowledge base on troubleshooting, I attempted to do a clean start. On restart, I got "Access denied to xxxxxx, you may need to log on as Administrator.....". I had administrator rights and when I went to Users to verify it, all I got was another blank white screen.

I am running Windows XP HE on a P4, 2.8 Ghz, dual processor, 512 M ram Toshiba notebook. I have set both security and privacy setting to default, verified Zone Alarms firewall is not blocking affected sites, and verified Java and javascripts are installed and enabled.

I have spent the better part of three days trying to determine and correct my problem with no success. Everywhere I turn I find a roadblock. Any help or suggestions gratefully accepted.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
download and install the following..see if that improves things

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

it sounds like you have more than one issue here

ursahoribl

ursahoribl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks, but have already been there done that with no change. Have also removed Java runtime environment and reinstalled the latest version, again no change.

Continued forum browsing led me to a couple posts which sounded like my problem and the fix was reloading Java, hence my reload. However, this did not correct my problem.