Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Officejet 7200 series printer will not print envelopes

• Please log in to reply

kl33315

kl33315

• Pip
  • 8 posts
My HP Officejet 7210 All-in-One printed envelopes just fine and then, all of a sudden, it wouldn't print them at all. It picks them up and runs them through, and it sounds like it's printing, but the envelope comes out blank. When I run a piece of regular paper 8 1/2" x 11" through, the envelope information IS printed, but on the left side rather than the right side, which is where the guide puts the envelope and where all the instructions show the envelope. AND when I run an envelope through on the left side (like I did the paper), it STILL COMES OUT BLANK. It's like a gremlin is in the printer.

I'd like to uninstall the software and reinstall it, but I'm unsure of a few things. I have a CD with the title "HP Officejet 7200 Series" on it. In the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, the HP programs are listed as follows:

HP Extended Capabilities 4.7
HP Image Zone 4.7
HP Image Zone Express
HP PSC & Officejet 4.7
HP Software Update

I don't know which of these programs I should uninstall since none of them has the same title as the CD.

Can anyone help?

kl33315

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01 KI33315 HP 7210 All in One Printer Envelopes
12th Feb 2006

Hello – Welcome to – [Geeks to Go] –

My HP Officejet 7210 All-in-One printed envelopes just fine and then, all of a sudden, it wouldn't print them at all. It picks them up and runs them through, and it sounds like it's printing, but the envelope comes out blank.

What Application are you using – see link –

Envelopes Printing Problems
http://h10025.www1.h...&dlc=en&lang=en

See HP 7210 All in One Home Page
http://h10010.www1.h...5-12087608.html

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 12 February 2006 - 06:16 PM.

kl33315

kl33315

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks, Jack123, for your response. I checked out everything as carefully as I could, and can't find anything wrong with any of the settings, etc., listed on the sites you included. I would like to reinstall the program, but, as I said, I don't know which programs to uninstall. When I looked at the folders in the CD (HP OfficeJet 7200 Series), none of them looked anything like the programs listed in Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
Any further thoughts?
KL

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02- KI33315 – [HP 7210 All in One Printer Envelopes]
13th Feb 2006

Please answer -

What Application are you using –

I think it is a – [Margin Setting] Problem – it depends on the Application that you use to print the envelopes –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 19 February 2006 - 01:19 PM.

kl33315

kl33315

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey, Jack

I am using Word 2002 on Windows xp. The address book apparently is centered in Outlook 2002 SP 3.

Thanks for your continued assistance.

KL

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
03- KI33315 – [HP 7210 All in One Printer Envelopes]
19th Feb 2006

I have enhanced the pages that apply to – [Envelope Printing] – using Word on WIN – XP from HP website and have attached it to this Post as a pdf file –

It basically says that you need to select - [Page Type] – in Word [Options] & in Printer’s [Property Page] + set the Orientation to [Landscape]

Download pdf File & see if this helps – I have jus highlighted & drew arrows to important items –

HP Extended Capabilities 4.7
HP Image Zone 4.7
HP Image Zone Express
HP PSC & Officejet 4.7
HP Software Update

These are – [Imaging – Photography] Capabilities & [HP Updating] – Most of the printing is thru Windows & the Windows Applications – Take notice of – [Clockwise Rotation] – Block – Significant item – and note that left margin for #10 Envelope – needs to be adjusted by – [0.8 inch] –

Jack123

Attached File  HP7210____MS_WORD__Using_Windows_XP_.pdf   85.4KB   331 downloads

kl33315

kl33315

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, Jack -

THank you for going to all the trouble you took on the printing envelopes instructions.

I followed each one carefully and got the same result as before -- the envelope goes through, the printer makes printing noises, and the envelope comes out blank. The printer prints regular paper fine.

So I ran a regular 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper with the envelope settings. The landscape printing came out on the left side of the paper. Then I unclicked the "Clockwise Rotation" setting for envelopes and ran another regular sheet of paper. Again, the landscape printing came out on the left side of the paper.

The printer is set up to run the envelope through on the right side, not the left side. Could it be that some internal setting has gotten reversed?

Thanks for your continued help.

KL

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
04- KI33315 – [HP 7210 All in One Printer Envelopes]
22nd Feb 2006

Ok – Lets make a fresh start – [I was just shooting from the hip] –

My HP Officejet 7210 All-in-One printed envelopes just fine and then, all of a sudden, it wouldn't print them at all

This indicates that it had been Ok – so I am ruling out the following – unless you have more details on this issue

The printer is set up to run the envelope through on the right side, not the left side. Could it be that some internal setting has gotten reversed?

How are you connected to or using the Printer –

(1) – Local – [USB Port]
(2) – Wired Network – [Ethernet Port]

I am just investigating all possibilities – Need to determine if we have a Printer or Server Problem –

Also I need to know if any of the following – occurred/accomplished – between the time – [Printer printed envelopes & Printer failed to print envelopes] –

(1)-[Upgrades] –
(2)-[Updates] –
(3)-[Repairs] –
(4)-Also what is the Time Frame between –
(5)-Was Printer moved
(6)-Any added Printer accessories/options
(7)- What happens if you place envelope on left side & try to print – [Curious]
(8)-Any Envelope printing reference in – [Manual]

I am just – [Interviewing the Issue] – Need to know all Factors – let me decide the significance – To you – The problem is – [Real Time] – but to me – It is – [Abstract] – I cannot – [Touch] – [Taste] – [View] – [Listen] – [Smell] – I can only – [Read] – and apply my experience -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 22 February 2006 - 11:21 AM.

kl33315

kl33315

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
1. Printer is connected to a router and to a USB hub.

2. There were no upgrades, updates or repairs.

3. One day it printed envelopes and the next day it didn't.

4. The printer was not moved.

5. No new accessories nor options were added.

6. If I place an envelope on the left side, it just doesn't go through. Remember, however, if I just put a piece of 8 1/2" x 11" through, the information prints on the left side of the paper as though an envelope had gone through on the left (wrong) side.

7. I've gone through the envelope printing in the manual. It was not helpful. On Page 39, it just tells me how to load the envelope. It's the way we've been discussing, on the right side, the way I've ALWAYS loaded the envelope, which worked very well before it quit printing envelopes.

Once again, thanks for your time and your help.

KL

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
05- KI33315 – [HP 7210 All in One Printer Envelopes]
27th Feb 2006

[1]

the envelope goes through, the printer makes printing noises, and the envelope comes out blank. The printer prints regular paper fine.

So I ran a regular 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper with the envelope settings. The landscape printing came out on the left side of the paper

If I place an envelope on the left side, it just doesn't go through. Remember, however, if I just put a piece of 8 1/2" x 11" through, the information prints on the left side of the paper as though an envelope had gone through on the left (wrong) side

Your following conclusion – is not correct -

as though an envelope had gone through on the left (wrong) side

The Printing was identically performed in both instances – The difference – The – [Paper] – is wide enough to receive the ink – while the –[Envelope] – is not – Left side margin is not changing to the – [Correct 4 Ό Inch Value] – As verified by this statement –

the printer makes printing noises

It is actual printing on your printer tray – Envelope is not wide enough to receive the Ink -

[2]

Technical Interpretation/Analysis –

Printer Setup –

(1) – Paper Feed Sensor is on – [Right side] of Printer
(2) – Left Side Margin is set for – [8 ½ inch Landscape]
(3) – #10 Envelope Size = [4 Ό inch Landscape] – creating a – 4 Ό inch [Blank Area] – from – [Printer Center] to – [Printer Left Side] -
(4) – Printing [Remains Set for] – [Left Margin Landscape] – Which – [Enables] – the printer to – [Print] – in/on this – [Blank Area] -

Printer Output –

(1) – Printing Object – [Envelope] is transported thru Printer correctly
(2) – Printing is [Performed] from [Left Margin Setting] @ [11- Inch] instead of [4 1/8 Inch]
(3) – [Envelope Printing] is being performed – [Outside of Envelope Printable Limits] – On 4 Ό inch – [Blank Area] – where ink is not visible -

Problem – Proper Size – [4 Ό Inch – [Printable Size] has NOT been selected/changed from 11 Inch size –

Possible Cause – [Left Margin setup in error] – Failed to change from 11 Inch to 4 ½ Inch – [*] = degree of possibility – [] = Possible – [*] = Good – [**] = High

(1) – Not logged on as [Administrator] – Not permitted to change printer settings –**
(2) – Proper Printer is not selected **
(3) – Network Printer is not being setup
(4) – [Word] – needs Envelope Macro installed/reinstalled *
(5) – Router Firewall is Blocking Macro Instructions**
(6) – Router has been – [Hard Reset] – [Power Failure –Glitch –] Needs to be setup
(7) – Printer Driver corrupted*
(8) – Faulty Printer Margin Sensor* - [Possible remains of a – [Paper Jam]
(9) – Print Spooler contains a – [Cached Margin Setting] – Leftover Paper Jam [??]
(10)- Possible – [FAX Setup] – Left Margin – Disabled [??] or FAX set/stored in Memory *

Unknown Details –

(1) – How many PCs are connected
(2) – Can you send/receive Fax via PC/s – If yes – [When was Feature/Option added]
(3) – Is FAX Option functioning – What Mode -
(4) – Need Detailed Printer Connection Setup – Any changes – regarding problem –
(5) – Router Description – Manufacturer – Model Number
(6) – Router Setup Mode – Using Router for – [FAX Mode] [??] – When was Router added to the equation
(7) – USB HUB Info – Manufacturer – Model Number – Connection Details – When added -
(8) – Did you have a Paper Jam Error Code – whether Real or False –
(9) – Is [Spooling] Enabled – When enabled –

As you can see – [Not being on Site] – is a problem for – Real Time Question/Answer – The answer to a question – leads to another question depending on answer/result

[3]

Lets try a different – Margin Setting – using Word –

(1) – Open up a Document that is set for [8 ½ x 11 Inch Paper]
(2) – Print a page –
(3) – Go to [Page Setup]
(4) – Change Paper Size to [Index Card 4 x 6 Inch] paper media
(5) – Print page –
(6) – Change to [Landscape]
(7) – Print Page

Results –

(1) – Print Correctly [??]
(2) – View Correctly [??]

Next item to try – Connect Printer directly to PC – No FAX – No Router – Just USB Printer Setup – Then try printing envelope – Make sure Printer is properly selected – This should narrow – Possible causes -

[4]

Post back these results & try to answer – [Unknown Details] – from Section [2] -

Jack123

kl33315

kl33315

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Possible Cause – [Left Margin setup in error] – Failed to change from 11 Inch to 4 ½ Inch – [*] = degree of possibility – [] = Possible – [*] = Good – [**] = High

(1) – Not logged on as [Administrator] – Not permitted to change printer settings –**

NO – I can change printer settings

(2) – Proper Printer is not selected **

NO – Proper printer is selected.

(3) – Network Printer is not being setup

NO – Printer is not on a network.

*** ?? I don’t know. Would this be on the MS Office CD? I had just reinstalled MS Office on 2/6/06, which is probably about the time the printer stopped printing envelopes.

(5) – Router Firewall is Blocking Macro Instructions**

?? I don’t know. The printer was working fine with the router the day before it stopped printing envelopes.

(6) – Router has been – [Hard Reset] – [Power Failure –Glitch –] Needs to be setup

I don’t think so. The router appears to be fine. What would tell me if this is the problem?

(7) – Printer Driver corrupted*

The hp site is telling me I have the latest driver. Does that mean hp has also decided the driver is not corrupted?

(8) – Faulty Printer Margin Sensor* - [Possible remains of a – [Paper Jam]

?? I don’t know. What would tell me if this is the problem?

(9) – Print Spooler contains a – [Cached Margin Setting] – Leftover Paper Jam [??]

?? I don’t know. What would tell me if this is the problem?

(10)- Possible – [FAX Setup] – Left Margin – Disabled [??] or FAX set/stored in Memory *

*** Interestingly enough, yesterday I was unable to fax directly through the hp Director fax program. I had to go through Word, which ultimately went through the hp Director fax program. About a week ago, during this envelope printing problem, I installed HP Officejet 7200 series 4.7.0 CD over the older printer program. Now, the hp fax program is telling me it doesn’t have any Cover Page macros.

Unknown Details –

(1) – How many PCs are connected

Only one. New Sony VAIO installed in 11/06.

(2) – Can you send/receive Fax via PC/s – If yes – [When was Feature/Option added]

*** See #10 above.

(3) – Is FAX Option functioning – What Mode –

*** See #10 above.

(4) – Need Detailed Printer Connection Setup – Any changes – regarding problem –

Power is through thru APC 500. Printer is connected to serial HUB and router LinkSys Wireless – B 2.4 GHz.

(5) – Router Description – Manufacturer – Model Number

See #4 directly above.

(6) – Router Setup Mode – Using Router for – [FAX Mode] [??] – When was Router added to the equation

The router was added in 12/06, I think. I don’t know whether the router is being used for the fax mode. What would tell me that info?

(7) – USB HUB Info – Manufacturer – Model Number – Connection Details – When added –

Belkin FSU027 7-port HUB. Connection details? It’s connected to the APC 500. Added a long, long time ago, long before this Sony VAIO PC was added in 11/06. Printer & PC connected to router.

(8) – Did you have a Paper Jam Error Code – whether Real or False –

I have had Paper Jam codes for real paper jams from time to time. I don’t know if one occurred just before the printer stopped printing envelopes. Would pulling the paper out perhaps cause the problem? If so, how? I wouldn’t want to do it again.

(9) – Is [Spooling] Enabled – When enabled –

Spooling has always been enabled. Since setup.

As you can see – [Not being on Site] – is a problem for – Real Time Question/Answer – The answer to a question – leads to another question depending on answer/result

[3]

Lets try a different – Margin Setting – using Word –

(1) – Open up a Document that is set for [8 ½ x 11 Inch Paper]
(2) – Print a page –
(3) – Go to [Page Setup]
(4) – Change Paper Size to [Index Card 4 x 6 Inch] paper media
(5) – Print page –
(6) – Change to [Landscape]
(7) – Print Page

Results –

(1) – Print Correctly - yes
(2) – View Correctly - views like a 4 x 6 Index card.

Next item to try – Connect Printer directly to PC – No FAX – No Router – Just USB Printer Setup – Then try printing envelope – Make sure Printer is properly selected – This should narrow – Possible causes –

No change in printing problem. It doesn’t matter where I choose the envelope setting. I can choose it directly in File > Page Setup, or Tools > Letters and Mailings > Envelopes and Labels or both, and the printer still does not print on the envelope on the right side of the printer, altho’ it will print the return and direct addresses on the left side of a piece of 8 ½” x 11” paper.

kl33315

kl33315

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Jack 123 -

Would you prefer to give me Remote Assistance rather than continue to e-mail back and forth?

I am using MS Outlook through Windows xp Professional.

KL

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
06- KI33315 – [HP 7210 All in One Printer Envelopes]
10th March 2006

Would you prefer to give me Remote Assistance rather than continue to e-mail back and forth?

I am using MS Outlook through Windows xp Professional.

No this is fine – I have to digest all the answers offline – It is still the same as not being present – as my ideas are slow to materialize at times – [Many senior moments] ??

*** ?? I don’t know. Would this be on the MS Office CD? I had just reinstalled MS Office on 2/6/06, which is probably about the time the printer stopped printing envelopes.

*** Interestingly enough, yesterday I was unable to fax directly through the hp Director fax program. I had to go through Word, which ultimately went through the hp Director fax program. About a week ago, during this envelope printing problem, I installed HP Officejet 7200 series 4.7.0 CD over the older printer program. Now, the hp fax program is telling me it doesn’t have any Cover Page macros

(1) - These 2 items are related – why/what was reason for reinstalling MS Office CD ??
(2) – What older Printer program ?? Before Envelope problem or after??

The MS Office CD probably have/has many options to select – chances are – Envelop printing/macros were not checked to install ??

How many PCs are on Network – Do all display same problem – The fact that you can change margins for index card – implies – Printer is OK – Interesting that both Word & FAX have – [Macro Issues] –

Let me research HP Manual – MS Word –

Another reason for the questions – [To jog your memory] – The key question is – [What were you doing last –Just before error popped up] – Did or do you have or had any [Malware Issues] – that may be the cause – and why did you have to reinstall ??

Jack123

kl33315

kl33315

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I reinstalled the MS Office either because of the problem with the envelopes or because of ongoing problems with Outlook 2002. I thought maybe these problems could be traced to corruption in Office. Apparently not.

I don't know how to check the envelope macros to see if they were installed.

The older printer program was the older version of this same program. I thought installing the newer version might correct the envelope printing problem. Apparently not.

My PC is not on a network. It is my sole home computer at present.

I just don't remember exactly what we were doing just before the envelope error occurred. We probably also had at least Quicken and Palm Pilot open. And maybe Internet Explorer. The day before we had printed envelopes without any problem, also with other programs running.

We clean the computer constantly with Adware SE Personal and Error Nuker. Spybot shows no problems. Spyware Blaster the same. I use Trend Micro PC-cillin for viruses and a LinkSys broadband router as a firewall.

Just VERY recently, Error Nuker has been giving me the message "0/1 errors have been corrected." Checking on this, I find that "Referenced path <!REFCNTR.HLP> does not exist." This MAY refer to Corel's WordPerfect 8 which I just installed. I don't suppose it has anything to do with the printer.

Edited by kl33315, 21 March 2006 - 12:55 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
07- KI33315 – [HP 7210 All in One Printer Envelopes]
22nd March 2006

Open Word
Click – [Tools]
Click – [Envelopes & Labels]
Click – [Options] Tab
Click – [Printing Options] Tab

you should now see - Setup Window

Print_Options.jpg

Make the correct selections Then click [OK] - - - - DO NOT – Click – [Reset]

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 22 March 2006 - 01:33 PM.