Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card?

• Please log in to reply

Jaba the Hut

Jaba the Hut

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I am looking at upgrading my video card. Right now I have an integrated intel extreme graphics 2. I have a dimension 3000 and have a 40$ gift certificate at walmart and am wondering if there are any descent cards there? I'm not looking at the most high tech one, just one that will work for majority of games i try to install (specifically Battle for Middle Earth 2) .

Could any of you guys give me suggestions on what to get?

Thanks

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Let us know what expansion slot you have for a video card upgrade. Some dells dont even have an agp slot just the regular pci.

Jaba the Hut

Jaba the Hut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I have an available pci slot.

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
I don't know about other countries or cities but the walmart in my city doesn't have any video cards. Anyways a graphic card with pci slot is very rare these days.

Here is a list of graphic cards with pci interface:
http://www.newegg.co...ATTR17=&ATTR18=

Anything under $50 is not worth it because its probably the same as the one you have right now. I don't know the performance of your current card so i can pick one for you.

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Sorry i meant i CAN'T pick one for u.

Darryl

Darryl

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
The Walmart by me has a few video cards but their not very good cards and are insanely overpriced.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I have an available pci slot.

Do you only have a regular pci slot? Do you have an agp slot or not.

Regular pci slots really suck but its better than onboard can be. Your system probably doesnt have the new pci express because I have worked with people that had the same model dell and I think it doesnt.

Let us know if you have agp or pci express I doubt it has pci express though.

I would rather buy a video card from a online computer store like newegg,zipzoomfly,monarchcomputer, or tigerdirect.

Walmart does overprice there cards abit for some reason.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
jaba, are you saying you only have a pci slot available? no AGP slot?

Edited by comanighttrain, 13 February 2006 - 11:44 AM.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
"pci", that is what he said.

i really think though a geforce fx5500 or raedon 9250 (best you can get in pci) will perform better than intel graphics 2. intel extreme really really really sucks. on graphic demos ive benchmarked, my pII @350 with a geforce fx5200, got twice the framerates as another comp, celeron @2400 with intel extreme.