Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB and other Drivers won't load

• Please log in to reply

giants54

giants54

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Windows XP, SP2 with all the current updates.

I had a sudden disk problem (couldn't boot); disk was 'fixed' using OS CD Repair by running Chkdsk and fixboot and system was fine..almost. But it worked. Suddenly, a couple of weeks later, my 4 USB Controller ports (2.0) wouldn't load their driver. I go thru the wizard and it terminates with "The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the INF was written..etc". I thought it was just the USB drivers, but now I find 2 more in Device Mgr with the yellow indicator and when I try to load the drivers for them, I get the same thing. (they are: High Precision Event Timer and Intel 82901FB/FBM SMBuss Controller - 266A). The HW is a Dell Dimension 8400 and all was fine before the disk problem. I'm afraid there's still a disk problem affecting some files in the system area but chkdsk doesn't find anything. (For example, restore points didn't work, indicating the System VOL files were corrupted. Backup fails on lots of files, but Explorer sees them fine. booting takes longer probably due to the remapped sectors.) I've tried many things including looking for drivers in various locations, including the CD with the OS on it; all ends with the same msg. I've booted with msconfig in minimal config; same thing. I've updated the Intel Chipset...and on and on.

Somehow I need to find out what's REALLY wrong, and a way to get passed it. BTW, to be clear, the USB ports did work after I fixed the disk but then suddenly 'disappeared' and all my USB devices (printer, camera, Ipod) don't work.

New ideas are surely welcome.

Thanks in advance,
George

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you haven't already, click start, right click my computer, click properties, hardware, device manager, scroll down to USB Controllers, click + then right click each one in the list, click delete, confirm, do this until the list is empty then reboot

giants54

giants54

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

If you haven't already, click start, right click my computer, click properties, hardware, device manager, scroll down to USB Controllers, click + then right click each one in the list, click delete, confirm, do this until the list is empty then reboot

Thanks Keith...unfortunately, it didn't help. There is no "delete" option, but I did uninstall all 6 devices and rebooted. The HW was discovered again, it goes thru the process and dies with the same error as always. Another fellow thinks my hard drive is dying and I tend to agree. I already bought another one and will eventually go thru the pain. What I'm looking for in the mean time is a way to get the USB devices to work
even if it's temporary. :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Depending on the device, you might be able to find other drivers, however, if the fault is with the drive, and this prevents windows loading the drivers correctly, it may do the same with any USB drivers

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you want to make sure about your HD condition enter it's manufacturer's internet site, download a diagnostic tool and test the disk with it. Run first a fast scan and then, if the fast scan is successfull, run a burning test if available. We want to check the disk under heavy load but give it a fast check first to make sure it's in good enough condition to stand the burning test.

In your initial post you mention that the computer ran well after repair. That exclude, in my opinion, any connection between the repair and the present problem. I think that I would run a thorough malware scan (if you look for recommended tools enter the malware forun) and if this doesn't help would try another repair.