Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help Can i overclock with this mobo pc chips

• Please log in to reply

oddwhispers

oddwhispers

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
hi i was wondering if theres any way i can overclock my amd 2800xp cpu. My mother board is a pc chips M848LU and i have 1gb of ddr pc2700 333mhz ram.
i think taht my cpu runs at 333mhz fsb and is 2.083ghz i have went into the bios and seen if i could just turn of teh frequency settings for teh cpu but it only lets me go up to 166mhz it says..... ebcause when you first put the cpu in the mobo it says 1250mhz so you have turn up the settings from default 100mhz.... to 166 which makes it read as teh amd 2800xp. I know that this mobo sucks but is it possible to overclock it at all?

Advertisements

oddwhispers

oddwhispers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Crap really sorry posted in wrong fourm!!! can someone please move this to the overclocking section thx!!

oddwhispers

oddwhispers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
ok i figured some stuff out and i think the frequency is at 175x2 now so now it runs stable at 2.2ghz but it will allow me to turn it up to 199x2 but that results in a instant crash. when i put it at 185x2 its 2.4ghz but that don't make it past the windows loadings screen. Could this be because my cpu's fsb is 333 and so is my memorys so when i overclock its hard on the memory to run extra fast? any tips on how i can get it up to 2.4-2.6 and keep it stable?

oddwhispers

oddwhispers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Somebody help!!!!

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

You best goto a oc website and read some how to's on this subject to completely understand because you could damage something but in geneal

Stock for your cpu is 166x2=333 fsb your multiplyer is locked so don't worry about that.

You can increase the fsb small amounts untill you are not stable then back off a bit untill it is stable then you need to increase the vcore in small amounts and increase the fsb again and see if it is stable. You keep doing this untill you are unwilling to add any more vcore because of heat or the ram or something holds you back or thats all the cpu can do.

caution Adding vcore will add heat to the cpu you have to monitor temps and have better then stock cooling

keep in mind just because the computer starts or windows loads does not mean it is stable, after every increase you need to run a program that loads the cpu and make sure it is stable before proceding.

These are just the basics please be cautious and study up before attempting, there are other things to consider.

Rick

oddwhispers

oddwhispers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
thx dude i did everything but the vcore... what section in the mobo is that located under? is that like the voltage and stuff because it won't allow me to increase the voltage or anything like that i know of i think the voltage and stuff is locked i can just change the fsb.... and at 175x2 it runs stable at 2250mhz but i want at least 2400mhz. at 2250mhz it runs at about 42c max at full load while playing Joint opertaions typhoon rising "very demanding game"

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yea it should be under voltages or power supply some thing like that, you may have to switch it from default to manual setting or something to unlock.

What bios do you have?

Rick

oddwhispers

oddwhispers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
i got umm Default bios... whatever came flashed into the mobo i guess..... how what section would it be under to change the voltage settings to manual so i can change them.... thx for the help :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I think its under the hardeware monitor page in bios,once in there use the arrow keys to highlite
cpu vcore then press enter then use the page up or page down arrows to modify.

Rick

oddwhispers

oddwhispers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
all of them are locked. is there any way to unlock them i can't highlight any options in the hardware monitor section. thx

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I downloaded and had a look at your manual but the voltage section is not to specific and I don't know.

I do know it is possible to ajust the vcore with your board because they mention being able do to so on there website, maybe you could look around there and find something out.

Rick

hrdwrjnkie

hrdwrjnkie

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Out of curiosity, at the 2.2GHz mark, what temps are you seeing at Idle and under full load?

You want to be extremely carful adding voltage to the processor as it will increase your temps much faster than frequency alone. Also, what cooling solution are you using?

oddwhispers

oddwhispers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Under EXTREME FULL LOAD i am seeing 40-44c temps. I'm in my basement which is very chilly and a case fan blowing in directly at the cpu fan which isn't the best but i would say its the next level up from a generic cpu fan....