Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking Problem

• Please log in to reply

jbird99

jbird99

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have set up just a basic network to share files from one computer too another. Both computers are running Windows XP Home Edition. When i am on one computer i can acess files on the other computer...but while on the other computer when i go to the name of the network then when i click the computer i want to share with i get the message,

"\\computername is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions."

Access is denied.

how do i resolve this!

Thanks!

Advertisements

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
i have this same problem. i have 3 computers. 2 are wireless. 1 is hardwired. the one that is hardwired is the one that cant be accessed.

is it the same for you?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi jbird99,

Basic Checklist for Networking
1. Ensure that all firewalls are disabled for all computers involved.
2. Ensure that all computers on the network are in the same workgroup.
3. Ensure each computer has File and Printer Sharing installed.
4. Ensure that you have File Sharing enabled - to do this, right-click on any Drive or Folder on one (or all) of the computers, and select Sharing and Security.... Ensure that Share this folder on the Network is enabled.

Please confirm that you have performed all of these steps, and then we can continue.
Thanks,
Dan.

Prometheus1981

Prometheus1981

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a similar problem. I have a Linksys router + VoIP adaptor, and connected to it, I have a Lan PC and a D-link wireless router for my wireless laptop. I get the same message from windows. I have done all tasks that you state and I'm still getting the same problem. What else can I do? :tazz:

~Iceman~

~Iceman~

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I just set up a network (not wireless) between 2 computers but i am yet to work out how to access files between computers. How do you do that?

Sam_G

Sam_G

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Well you have to enable file and printer sharing.

Thats the first thing. Then goto start.....run....cmd.....ipconfig/all.

Send back the results.

P.S That goes for everyone.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

Send back the results.

In your own thread, please. You will not recieve help if you post your problem inside another person's topic, as it is deemed as thread hijacking. By all means, feel free to add a link to this topic as a reference if you feel it's necessary... Once you guys start your own threads, I'm sure we'll be able to help you :tazz:

Thanks,
Dan.

Sam_G

Sam_G

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Dan.G

I am not asking for HELP. i am giving it. Is that not allowed???

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
None of the people asking for help in this thread, aside from jbird99, are the original topic starters (I'm aware that you aren't asking for help). I simply wanted the non-topic starters to start their own threads, to avoid clustering jbird's thread.

To avoid confusion, please do not post your question in someone else's topic. Start your own. Stay with your original topic when posting a follow up. Need help starting a new topic? Click Here.