Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard problem w/ my laptop

• Please log in to reply

MMA Vale Tudo

MMA Vale Tudo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am having a problem w/ my laptop keyboard. It seems that when I type, the typing just jumps to wherever the cursor is. An example would be if I was typing something at the head of a microsoft word document, and the cursor was at the middle. after a few moments, the typing just starts right where the cursor is.

this has been happening for a while now, and it is very annoying, as I am a college student and have to type a lot.

please help

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
do you use a touchpad? my guess is that you have that special clicky feature enabled, that you dont have to actually press the mouse button to click, you can just simply press the touchpad once, and it will click. i think your wrist is hitting your touchpad (and you wouldnt know, because it is silent), and that is causing ms word to put the cursor there, and thus your typing would appear there.

MMA Vale Tudo

MMA Vale Tudo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I do use a touchpad (instead of a PC mouse). I dont think I have that feature enabled, as i can leave the cursor on something and it wont click it by itself. it only happens when i am typing. anyway to check tho?

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
well, the feature doesnt do it by itself, if it senses momentary pressure on the pad, then it will send the signal as a mouse click. it should be under mouse properties in the control panel. i never had a laptop with this (my laptop is very old) but i've seen this feature on every new laptop i've used from family/friends. it was very annoying.

MMA Vale Tudo

MMA Vale Tudo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
do you know what the option is called, specifically? i saw a bunch of diff things, and i dont wanna mess up the mouse settings any worse off than they already are.