Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hp pavilion amd laptop quickrestore

• Please log in to reply

Emiliano

Emiliano

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am trying to use quickrestore for my hp pavilion ze44430us amd laptop. I start with disc 1 but before I make it to the end (5 discs total) the computer shuts off. This will happen at different times i.e. disc one, or half way through disc 2 etc. The furthest i have been is the start of disc 4. The computer does not turn off by itself at any other time. When I go back to restart it with the last disc in, it says cannot find operating system, so I have to start from scratch. I have not been able to get anywhere with this.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Emiliano...

Are you, by chance, Guest331 from chat? :tazz:

Are there files on this machine that you need to recover?

wannabe1

Emiliano

Emiliano

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
nope, I have nothing on there of any importance. (plus its all gone now anyway)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are these floppies? Or do you have the original cd?

Emiliano

Emiliano

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
original cds

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are you one of the lucky ones who has a floppy drive? Some of this model shipped with tham...most didn't.

If you have a floppy drive, we might get past this pretty easily.

Emiliano

Emiliano

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
unlucky me, no floppy.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...20 questions time :tazz:

When you boot with disk 1, what options, if any, are you given? Or does it simply ask for you to feed it the next disk?

Are all of the cd's clean and in good shape?

Do you have access to a WinXP retail installation cd? (friend or family?)

Emiliano

Emiliano

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
once disk one is inserted, is asks what language, then it warns me that it will completely reformat, then it starts, it takes about 5 mins and then (if i get there) it asks for the next disk. Each disk takes about 5-6mins before it asks for the next one.

all the cds are new and in good shape,

no to the winxp retail installation cd

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Think this will be a fun one... :tazz:

There are several things that might be causing the machine to shut down. (it IS shutting down, right? Not restarting?) One could be heat...the machine is working pretty hard when this happens. Maybe prop the back of the machine up on a book or something to increase the airflow under the machine.

Let's also set the BIOS to the Fail Safe Default. Restart the machine and press the F2 ky during the boot sequence to enter setup. Look at all the instructions in the BIOS screen...there should be a key you can press to set the BIOS to default (Or Fail Safe...). Press that key and then press F10 to save the settings. Exit BIOS and restart with disk one in the drive.

If heat may be the issue, leave the machine off for about 30 minutes before starting the recovery to allow the heat to dissipate from the case.

Let me know if this helps...

wannabe1

Advertisements

Emiliano

Emiliano

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok thanks, I think it is the heat. I just tried again and got to disk 5 before it turned off. This time i had it balanced on my staplers for better air circulation and it got further. I am not sure what else i can do to make it not so hot, but i will keep trying.

thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Pick up a can of compressed air at your local office supply store and blow all the vents...particularly concentrating onthe CPU area. Get the cooties and dust bunnies out of there and it should cool down a bit.

Emiliano

Emiliano

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I "blew" out the computer/fan and put it on stilts for better air circulation and it worked. For some reason it was overheating.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Excellent! Glad that helped... :tazz:

You might look at investing in a Laptop Cooler for your machine. They really do help.

Sooo...are you "good to go" or can we offer further assistance?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 13 February 2006 - 12:06 PM.

Emiliano

Emiliano

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
good to go, thanks!