Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

missing folder

• Please log in to reply

tstubbs457

tstubbs457

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
today,
discovered that the c:\documents\<username>\localsettings\temporary internet files
folder was missing--
not able to access or to see it with any of the stuff i know--

i am sure that there are answers out there---
if you might give me direction--

peace,

-t.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

System File Checker gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

System File Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System File Checker.

The System File Check is only concerned with replacing missing or corrupt system files, and does not affect installed software or data

tstubbs457

tstubbs457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

System File Checker gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

System File Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System File Checker.

The System File Check is only concerned with replacing missing or corrupt system files, and does not affect installed software or data

thanks for the prompt reply--
above info very informative and useful.
ran sfc /scannow as recommended.
however---
problem persists--
will continue efforts---but, need to get a little sleep tonight.
will be checking back.

at any rate,
thanks
and
peace,

-t.

tstubbs457

tstubbs457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
ran sfc /scannow without problems..
still unable to find */*/temproary internet folder--- <cf. above posts>
it must be there as will not allow me to make new folder of same name---
hidden attributes are off..
i am confused here..

peace,

-t.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
C:\Documents and Settings\{profile}\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

are you sure you are looking in the right place....it's

C:\Documents and Settings\....

not

C:\Documents\...

tstubbs457

tstubbs457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
sorry--- yes,
have reconfirmed---
&etc......documents and settings.......etc..

there is a TMP subfolder---
but it dows not hold the files...

no Temporarary Internet Files folder found in this sudrectory--

-t.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
This may be a silly question, but have you run an actual search? I just went to Start>Search out of curiosity. Made sure it was set to scan hidden files and folders, etc and so on. I searched entire C: drive for Temporary Internet and it came back with SIX folders! (two were "hidden", four were not) :) I actually didn't realize I had that many! :tazz:

tstubbs457

tstubbs457

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
just did this--- found three hits---
it may be that what i am looking for is being put into "default user"---
will check out when time permits.
parenthetically, nothing is silly...

peace,
-t.