Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking Help

• Please log in to reply

nogard

nogard

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
I am so new to networking, and need more help. I have four different notebooks computers, 3 have built in wireless b/g, and one a PCI Linksys wireless-b network adapter, what I want to do is share files with all four, at say a room at a table, but with no internet connection to any. Just a wireless network to share files. Is there a tutorial for this kind of network? Do I need any other hardware?

Advertisements

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
i am able to share files like this when my brother comes over with his laptop and i have mine. however we both connect to a gateway (router) and from there we share files.

to share files through a gateway using a computer with microsoft xp, you just have to run your network wizard and allow filesharing. then you pick what folders you want to share and your set.

microsoft does an excellent job of walking you through it with the wizard.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can also go through the wireless network wizard to set up an ad-hoc network...wich is basically routerless...just computer to computer..(haven't done this...so i'm sorry i can't give steps..but from what i know...the network setup wizard should take you through it)

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I have set up an Ad-Hoc network, but every time two or more people try and sharefiles/transfer with the same computer, it whole network lags bad. Some even get disconnected and have to search for the network, and then try to reconnect to gain access again. Its like some strange bottle neck or something. Is this common, with just two notebook on the network, everything seem to work fine, it just when we start adding more notebooks that we have problems.

Another question, is it possible to instant message over a network, with out internet? If so whay type of software would a person use?

Another question, does dial-up TCP/IP interfear with Ad-hoc file sharing.......on this type of network? I have noticed that when one of the computers are connected to the internet by dialup, they are removed from the workgroup list. They are still connected to the network just unable to view, or share files. All other computers cannot find the computer in question in the workgroup when they are connected to dial-up.

Edited by nogard, 13 February 2006 - 10:22 PM.