Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Home Login Troubles

• Please log in to reply

MarkH1254

MarkH1254

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi all,

I am running XP Home, SP2. My machine seems to be stuck in an endless loop. When I click on my user name, I get a message, "loading your personal settings", and then suddently, it switches to "logging out". I can't get past this mode. I can boot in safe mode, and tried to use the system restore utility, but it tells me that it is disabled in safe mode, and I can't turn it on. Any ideas here?

Thanks
Mark

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi MarkH1254...

Have you recently upgraded from another operating system such as Win98 or ME?

Do you have PcAnywhere installed?

Did you recently install XP SP2?

wannabe1

MarkH1254

MarkH1254

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi wannabe,

No, this machine I have had for three years, and always had XP on it. I lost the hard drive in May of 05, but it has been fine since then. No I dont have PC anywhere on it, and it has had SP2 since it became available.

This all started when I had added Adobe Acrobat, standard edition 6.0, that I bought off of ebay, which I installed with reader 7.0 on it, which was a mistake now that I think about it.

The machine asked for a reboot, which I did and shut off. This morning I turned it on and it was fine. It started and said I needed to reboot again, since then, I cant get past the login problem.

When I went to safe mode it would let me use system restore, OR remove the Adobe products, it said Windows installer wasnt running, and wouldnt let me enable it.

I appreciate any and all help!!!!!!!

Thanks
Mark

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...that's one down...

When you boot to Safe Mode, can you use the run command? If you can, click Start, then Run, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe in the "Run" box, and click "Ok"...Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Let us know how you fare...

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If that doesn't work, boot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt and type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe at the prompt...press "Enter". Follow the prompts to complete the restore operation.

MarkH1254

MarkH1254

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Wow, thanks for the quick response.

Yes, I can type in the RUN window and tried it. It gives me the same message that I get from the control panel when I try to turn on system restore...to the effect of....System restore has been turned off and cant be turned on in the safe mode....restart in normal mode and then run system restore again.

I am in safe mode with network support that is allowing me to cripple along here and send you these messages. I did have restore mode ON for as long as I can remember. It looks as if it got turned off, except I don't know how or WHEN.

Any more ideas???

Thanks
Mark

MarkH1254

MarkH1254

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
wannabe,

I booted in safe mode, command prompt. Typed in as you said, and got this message, rstrui.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command, program or batch file.

Mark

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

MarkH1254

MarkH1254

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I reread your second last post and had the wrong path, but it didnt matter, I got the same error, cant start restore in safe mode. I can't print in safe mode, and it wont let me install a printer driver..uess I am going to have to wait until tomorrow at work to print out the directions.

One last thing, I have been digging on Google and they talked about five configuration files being corrupted possible, C:\windows\system32\config\......system, software, sam, security and default.

They talk about copying them to save them with a different name and then copying them from windows\repair\system. When I tried to do that from a command prompt, it tells me that they are being used. Before I do a new install of XP, I would like to try doing this. Any idea why I cant do this???

Thanks again,
Mark

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Probably because the files are locked (in use) by the active directory. The repair will take care of those issues before windows starts. It works by deleting and reinstalling all of the Windows System files. I've seen some pretty good results using this method.

Using the procedure you mentioned does work, provided everything goes perfectly...it can be glitchy, though. I would try the repair first. Microsoft calles the procedure an "inplace upgrade". I've used it to resolve apci error issues on older machines, as well...there's a little trick in there for that.

wannabe1