Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video and sound cards

• Please log in to reply

matthew staton

matthew staton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Ya your right it does have pci express 16x, I checked on bestbuy. I didnt remember reading that it had ati radeon xpress 200... lol
Make shure you look at the pci express model of the 6800gs. I should of remembered that all of the newer pc's with the amd dual core is almost always going to have pci express. Very few dont. :tazz:

Hey guys a bought a 500 watt power suppley. I ended up buying the ATi radeon x1600 pro video card costed me 299.99 was a little more but the guy at best buy said that it was better than the nvidia 6800.I going to have some pro's put it in as I dont want to mess up my computer As I have over 2 grand in it now this baby is going to be awsome I hope.You guys think this ati will be better??

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
i would have taken the 6800gs over the x1600 pro any day. (dont like ati for many reasons) but it wont be a bad card, so dont worry. you will be much happy with its performance either way.

and even if they salesman was right about the x1600s performance being better, hes a salesman, and he does what he does for money, we do what we do to help you out because we want to help you.

Edited by Thebinaryman, 15 February 2006 - 04:38 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hey guys a bought a 500 watt power suppley. I ended up buying the ATi radeon x1600 pro video card costed me 299.99 was a little more but the guy at best buy said that it was better than the nvidia 6800.I going to have some pro's put it in as I dont want to mess up my computer As I have over 2 grand in it now this baby is going to be awsome I hope.You guys think this ati will be better??

Hahahaha, most of the bestbuy people dont know jack about computer hardware. They may know knowledge on how to atleast build a pc but they are not that great. The guy who told you that the ati x1600 pro was better doesnt know jack about video card specs. You should of asked me before you bought it. I have talked about the x1600pro before and it is not a good card for the price to performance ratio. For example a 6600gt with 256 mb ram is faster than the x1600pro video card. You messed up buying that card. Let me explain. The x1600pro has 12.48GB/sec memory bandwith which is not good for the price your paying for that card. That card is slow lol... A stock 6800gs has 32GB per second memory bandwith and is about 1-2% slower than a 6800gt would be. The 6800gs runs about $180-$220 in the usa. You could of gotten one for $185 if you live in the usa and it would be more than twice as fast as the ati x1600pro... The guy who told you obviously doesnt know about speed comparisons. By the way the x1600pro only has 128 bit memory interface which sucks for the amount of money you paid for the card. I suggest you take it back. Bestbuy allows you to take it back I know. Just say it didnt work in my pc or you want to exchange for another or whatever.

The x1600pro is way to expensive for what you are getting. It is a slow card... Really..

matthew staton

matthew staton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Hahahaha, most of the bestbuy people dont know jack about computer hardware. They may know knowledge on how to atleast build a pc but they are not that great. The guy who told you that the ati x1600 pro was better doesnt know jack about video card specs. You should of asked me before you bought it. I have talked about the x1600pro before and it is not a good card for the price to performance ratio. For example a 6600gt with 256 mb ram is faster than the x1600pro video card. You messed up buying that card. Let me explain. The x1600pro has 12.48GB/sec memory bandwith which is not good for the price your paying for that card. That card is slow lol... A stock 6800gs has 32GB per second memory bandwith and is about 1-2% slower than a 6800gt would be. The 6800gs runs about $180-$220 in the usa. You could of gotten one for $185 if you live in the usa and it would be more than twice as fast as the ati x1600pro... The guy who told you obviously doesnt know about speed comparisons. By the way the x1600pro only has 128 bit memory interface which sucks for the amount of money you paid for the card. I suggest you take it back. Bestbuy allows you to take it back I know. Just say it didnt work in my pc or you want to exchange for another or whatever.

The x1600pro is way to expensive for what you are getting. It is a slow card... Really..

Hey thanks for the info.I going to take the card back tomarrow.I going to have the 6800 gs installed instead and a new power supply and I will save 100 bucks and get the better card good thing I did not open it I was waiting for what you said seems every one is sold out of the 6800gs I guess I wait thanks man I glad some ones no's there stuff seems like all these computer guys tell me diferent stuff lol. :tazz:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Goto www.newegg.com they have specials on the evga 6800gs right now. They have 3 versions. Any of them are fine. It goes from stock speed, to overclocked and to more overclocked that is the differences between them.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
newegg is the best, and they give you lots of choices, look for a 6800gs with the highest speeds, from a trusted company, and a good cooler (i think the coolers are all basically the same, but some are different) so look at the REVIEWS for the 6800gs from each manufacturer; xfs, evga, bfgtech, etc.