Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstall Office Std. Edition 2003

• Please log in to reply

Ritafaye

Ritafaye

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Office 2003 came pre-installed on my PC for the 60-day trial version. MSWorks7 also was pre-installed on my PC, and included the installation CD. I have no use for the Office 2003, which by the way uses up too many resources (4,093 MB).

When I uninstall the Office 2003, my Works begins to mal-function...says that some .dll files cannot be found.
So what is happening is that these files are deleted when I uninstall Office 2003. Am I to believe that I must be forced to keep the Office 2003 on my system (which naturally does not function properly, because I did not choose to buy the program after the trial version has expired)... just to assure that my MSWorks continues to function?

By the way, I have tried uninstalling and re-installing MSWorks via the installation CD. It works just fine for a few weeks, then again mal-functions. I have tried to get MSWorks Updates to insure that it keeps working efficiently, but it requires me to register the program with Microsoft. I follow their instructions explicitly, and type in the Product ID number (which is an OEM number) and Microsoft refuses to acknowledge it as a valid PID.

I cannot afford to buy an office program...am perfectly content with MSWorks. I just need it to work.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Ritafaye

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Ritafaye...

What features of MSWorks do you most use? Have a look at Open Office as a possible alternative pending resolution of the current issue. It opens and creates documents, spreadsheets, presentations, etc, that are compatable with most major office suites...including MS...and it's free.

I don't use Works, so am not sure what all it does...someone around here should be able to help with this, though... :tazz:

wannabe1

Ritafaye

Ritafaye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Wannabe1 for replying. I use the Word Processor in Works...nothing else. My main problem is: an error message pops up right in the middle of a document that I have meticulously worked on for hours...MICROSOFT WORKS HAS TO CLOSE. WE'RE APOLOGIZE FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE THIS MAY CAUSE. It happens so fast that there's not time enough to click the "X to close" and save it.

No option to save my work pages, no previous warnings, NOTHING! All gone. By the way, MSWorks does not have any back-up options that would cover this type of disaster...none that I am aware of at least.

I remember reading something awhile back, somewhere that this has happened to other users of MSWorks...and that Microsoft would surely come up with an update (solution) to correct this. Due to the fact I am unable to register my version of MSWorks (although it is completely valid) I therefore cannot obtain the updates.

Another small irritant with Works is the inability to change the "default" Font settings...style, color, size, etc.

When I leave this site I intend to check out the OPEN OFFICE.