Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NETWORK CONNECTIONS

• Please log in to reply

theBoar

theBoar

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hey People,
Having a lil problem....I recently noticed that my Network Connection folder in Windows XP is empty! This is strange to me because i have not (to my knowledge) configured any options that would result in that folder to be empty. And the funny part is, my computer is not running any differently, and my internet connection is still active and strong. So why is my Network Connection folder empty???
If someone could help me with an answer as to how i can get my Network Connection contents back, that would be awsome! :tazz:

I'm running Windows XP, with a high speed cable modem, no router.
...please let me know if you need any other info...

Advertisements

RNB

RNB

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
hi,
Did you double click it? If so right-click it & properties (you should have your internet connection their)..

-Double clicking My Network Places opens the local area contents (If You Have LAN).
-But to get network connections & setting them up, you have to right-click then properties.

Hope this helps... :tazz:

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Network Connections will seemingly empty itself if it finds that there are no networking devices available on the system.

This includes dial-up modems, network cards/ports and possibly USB modems as well.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right click my computer > manage > device manager > do you see any yellow ? or !....do you even see your network adapater in the list?

theBoar

theBoar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hey Guys....thanks for your responses,

RND, when i go into My Network Places...the folder is empty....when i right click the blank page and go to Properties i get the Network Connections folder which is also empty. Now i'm stuck. Im starting to get the feeling that i've disabled a setting that would leave me with this problem.

dsenette, i've tried what you said....i dont get any yellow....but i do see my network adapter list, in that list i have...

1394 Net Adapter (this item is X'd out),
Motorola SURFboard SB5100 USB Cable Modem,
and Realtek RTL8139/810X Family Fast Ethernet NIC (this item is X'd out).

I remember disabling item 1 and 3 because i didn't use them, but my Cable Modem i left enabled. But this was a while back, and all three items were still in my Network Connections forlder up until recently, so why am i having this problem now?!

I should meantion, i do remember configuring MSCONFIG (Services and Startup) so that my computer would start up faster and that i wouldn't run programs that were not needed, is it possible that this could be the cause?? or could my Norton System Works have deleted something from my registry?? These are things that my friends have been telling me, but you guys would know best.....so....

....what now....anybody? :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
running any registry cleaners lately (reason number 1,435,687 why registry cleaners are bad, bad, bad)

If so, do a system restore to a time earlier than the time you ran a registry cleaner.

What service pack release of windows are you using?

theBoar

theBoar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
gerryf,
I'm running Windows XP, Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2.
And about the registry cleaning, i've been using Norton System Works for a couple of years and i've have no problems with it. I'd rather not restore my computer because first of all i dont know how long i've had this problem, i noticed it randomly yesturday. This could have happend quite a long time ago. I clean my computer with NSW quite regularly. Is it possible that i simply have and option that has to do with the folder disabled? Has anyone heard of someone else who has had the same issue as i have?
Like i said before, its not affecting the preformance of my computer, but i would like to be able to configure my connection settings....

any reply's, thanks guys :tazz:

theBoar

theBoar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
.....i just wanted to add this.....

I noticed just now that i am also unable to open my Windows Firewall!! When i try to access it from the Control Pannel i get this message:
" Windows Firewall settings cannot be dissplayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firwal/Internet Connections Sharing (ICS) service?" "YES/NO"
When i hit YES i get this:
"Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connections Sharing (ICS) service." "OK"
What is going on!! Why is my computer doing this now....and is this related to the Network Connections problem that i'm having??

heeelp

RNB

RNB

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
This is me again.. Seems you r n a big trouble!!!
Are you using administrator built-in account??

To check it please do as follows:

-right-click my comp. --> manage --> Local Users & Groups --> Users
Then check if your account name -u r loggin with- is a built-in account or not..

one thing more.. about firewall.. for sure you had stopped its service from services, so go back to MSCONFIG --> Services --> Check the check box of Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) ..

Waiting your reply..

Edited by RNB, 13 February 2006 - 11:47 PM.

theBoar

theBoar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
HI RND, thanks for your help...

I've done what u've asked, however, when i go to "Manage" under "My Computer" i dont have any option to view the "Local Users & Groups". I've checked in the entire menu but i cant find that option.
Also, about MSCONFIG, i've already gone back and re-checked the " Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" box how ever it doesn't seem to have solved anything, i still have the same problem. Could there be another service that i need enabled that would run with it?
Other than that...what else should i do?? THANKS