Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network connection problem

• Please log in to reply

Kot'R'ToI

Kot'R'ToI

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Please excuse me if the answer to this problem has already been mentioned elsewhere, but I've been trying to fix this problem for some time now and simply cant figure it out...

I've got a home network setup with cable DSL linked to a router (DC202 firmware version 1). Two PC connected via cable to router and one WiFi router attached as well...

Problem is one of my PCs recently stopped connecting to the internet, and when I checked the Netork connection I see its got "Limited or no connection". To make sure that it wasn't a cable problem or one with the router I attached another PC on that cable and it worked perfectly... all the other PCs on the network also still work perfectly. The Wifi networked PCs also have no problems...

I've tried ipconfig /release then ipcomfig /renew, but then I get and error saying that the "The procedure call table is invalid". I've given it a fixed IP and while it then says in the network connections that I'm fully connected, I can still not go on the internet or find any of the other PCs in my network. I've also tried ipconfig /flushdns followed with ipconfig /registerdns still to no avail. I saw on other posts that the fact that my current IP address is 169.254.217.98 might be significant... I know that all of my other PCs follow that the pattern 192.168.0.X.

Please please help!!!! :tazz: I'm really at a loss...

Advertisements

rics

rics

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I've got a home network setup with cable DSL linked to a router (DC202 firmware version 1). Two PC connected via cable to router and one WiFi router attached as well...

Let me get this right, so you have 3 PC in total, 2 via cable to one router (wireless I assume) with an additional wirelss router (why?) attached to the 3rd.

Anyway, on the PC that is physically connected to router that is connected to ISP
IPCONFIG/ALL ->copy down your Ethernet adapter informations

On PC with the problem, in TCP/IP properties turn off auto obtain IP and DNS. Copy in the feilds and make sure that the IP assigned is one other than the ones already assigned (check router) and is in range in the DHCP server setting in router that is connected to the internet. (just get the DNS part right, the IP part normally get's reassigned by the router anyway.)

goodluck.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Kot'R'ToI,
The Limited or no connectivity error is becoming one of those prominent, annoying errors that are popping up in networks all over the globe.

Try WinsockFix. Once run, reboot and test your connection.

If that fails, please goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK', then do the following:
1. Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

2. Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot and test.

Please download LSPFix from here. Run the LSPFix.exe that you have just finished downloading, and please list all of the protocols that are in the 'Keep' and 'Remove' list; if there are protocols in the 'Remove' list, then please don't click 'Finish>>'. Simply close the program by pressing ALT+F4 or the Close [x] button.

Test your Network
1. Goto Start, Run, type: NETSH DIAG GUI - press 'OK'. A Command Prompt window will open temporarily; don't touch it, it will disappear in a moment.
2. A Microsoft Help and Support window will then open; select the option 'Scan your system'.
3. Wait for the scan to finish and then scroll down to the heading 'Modems and Network Adapters'. Look at 'Network Adapters' (don't expand it yet). Beside your connection information, you should see a green 'PASSED'; if you do not (if you see a red 'FAILED') then expand 'Network Adapters', scroll down the list until you see the heading with the 'FAILED', expand that option and copy and paste the results here.
In the NETSH DIAG GUI, you should be looking for any red 'FAILED', however the key one is Network Adapters for you. If you see any other red FAILED, expand the component and copy the results.

Thanks,
Dan.

alien666

alien666

• Pip
  • 4 posts
[/b]I've also tried ipconfig /flushdns followed with ipconfig /registerdns still to no avail. I saw on other posts that the fact that my current IP address is 169.254.217.98 might be significant... I know that all of my other PCs follow that the pattern 192.168.0.X.[b]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The main point here is that with an assigned address of 169.xxx.xxx.xxx your machine is telling you that it has not been assigned an IP address from the router and it therefore gives itself an address - which for all purposes is useless..
In fact as it was working OK before - then scrambled its brains it leads me to believe that ....as long as you have not been playing with the settings.....there may well be a software problem.
I have had this problem with my laptop. 2 ways used to fix it
1 enter local area connection click properties then highlight internet protocol and hit properties
then enter manual address in the form 192.168.0.X. where X is a free slot. the enter your dns
IP. If this does not work then reboot. you should have connectivity. Often after you have established the connection it is then possible to return to the " assign IP automatically " and as the PC remembers the last address all will be OK.
2 Worst case is to reinstall windows. This I have done 4 times and it always solves the problem , but is time consuming.Fortunately a re install leaves all other dat / progams still working OK.

Hope this helps.

Kot'R'ToI

Kot'R'ToI

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Let me get this right, so you have 3 PC in total, 2 via cable to one router (wireless I assume) with an additional wireless router (why?) attached to the 3rd.

My excuses for not stating the situation clearly enough, it is as follows... We have two desktop PCs which are wired to the primary router. On this same router there is a Wifi router to which at least one laptop connect (although there can sometimes be up to 4 computers connecting to this at any given time). The reason that there is a separate wifi router is that the network built up rather haphazardly and it was purchased later independently of the original network... :)

Anyway, on the PC that is physically connected to router that is connected to ISP
IPCONFIG/ALL ->copy down your Ethernet adapter information

On PC with the problem, in TCP/IP properties turn off auto obtain IP and DNS. Copy in the fields and make sure that the IP assigned is one other than the ones already assigned (check router) and is in range in the DHCP server setting in router that is connected to the internet. (just get the DNS part right, the IP part normally gets reassigned by the router anyway.)

good luck.

Sadly I've already tried this with as only result that while it says that it is connected, the actual data traffic is still zero so I'm still not able to get on the internet or communicate with any of the other PCs in the network. :tazz:

Dan G, thanks for your suggestion I'll try this out asap, and let you know what happens...

The main point here is that with an assigned address of 169.xxx.xxx.xxx your machine is telling you that it has not been assigned an IP address from the router and it therefore gives itself an address - which for all purposes is useless..

Thanks for this info, I didn't know this. Its great you get to learn something new everyday :)

As to your first solution, I've already tried this and it sadly didn't work (see above as to why). While its true that I could indeed reinstall windows I'd prefer to refrain from doing this for as long as possible (if I do do it I was thinking of being even more drastic and reformatting the drive and starting from scratch).

New Info: I didn't mention this before, and I'm not sure how significant this is... The light at the back next to the Ethernet plug is now always a solid red (I believe its meant to be either solid green or flashing green/yellow when there is traffic). This is the case even when I've given the PC a fixed IP and DNS, and it says that it is connected...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if that connection light is red...then there is an issue with the connection for sure....have you updated the drivers for the card?

Kot'R'ToI

Kot'R'ToI

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

if that connection light is red...then there is an issue with the connection for sure....have you updated the drivers for the card?

Yes I just tried that, downloaded it from the web uninstalled previous version and installed the latest drivers for the network adaptor. If you need to know its an Intel PRO/100 VE Network adaptor..., still haven't tried out all the things suggested by Dan G, as Ive been kinda busy, but will do so and post reply soon.

PS thanks for all the help up to now, its really appreciated.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the light being red could also be a bad cable...or a bad port on the router....have you tried different ports...or a different cable?

Kot'R'ToI

Kot'R'ToI

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

the light being red could also be a bad cable...or a bad port on the router....have you tried different ports...or a different cable?

Tried the cable on another Laptop and it worked perfectly... :tazz: (would have been nice if this was the problem as it would then have been easily solved). Not quite sure what you mean by a "bad port", but if you're referring to changing the slot in which the Network card is situated, sadly I can't do that as its built into the motherboard.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no.. i meant on the router

Kot'R'ToI

Kot'R'ToI

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
YES :tazz: Finally managed to try out all the things suggested by Dan G and it worked (what exactly I'm not sure, but my internet connection works again. There are still some small problems but I'm sure that I'll be able to iron things out from here on out on my own.

dsenette thanks for the clarification... I'll be sure to remember this as a possible error if I ever have any problems again in the future (although I'll keep my fingers crossed against that eventuality).

Let me just say thank you thank you thank you thank you, you guys are great... Hope I'm not jinxing myself here, but if ever I have any other problems I'm sure I'll be able to get the answer here.