Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i made a BIIIIG booboo

• Please log in to reply

snugglezthedeathcat

snugglezthedeathcat

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
i tryed reformatting the computer erasing all the files and when i was ready to reinstall windows 98 second edition...it wont read the d drive it says "invalid drive specification" i dont know how to get it to read the a drive either it just wont :tazz: :) soooo...its not only the camera now...its getting the conputer to work in general....then i couldnt find the way to log back in here then i thought o ya its my name./...anyways in the bios...it wont read the primary slave...secondary slave and master and everythings just right [bleep]ed...please help!!!!!!!!! :)

Advertisements

snugglezthedeathcat

snugglezthedeathcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
seriously i need help with this :tazz:

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Did you change anything in the BIOS?

When you start the machine up does it try to boot?

Tell me what happens use as much detail as possible please.

RNB

RNB

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi,
You mean you want to format you computer & no need to any file there right?? If so, then bring a bootable CD (Win 98) as you want. Put it in CD palyer & restart your computer.. It should ask you to press any key to boot from CD, then press any key to start formatting..

Note: Your BIOS booting sequence settings should be set as: boot first from CD..

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
What RNB said up there is correct, however we need to address the harddrives not detecting first.

So if you could answer those questions in my first post before you follow the rest that would be good.

Oh and one other thing, if your cd rom is not detecting then the "boot from CD" method will not work, but we can get around that once we get to that part of the problem.

snugglezthedeathcat

snugglezthedeathcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
nothing for the bios...and it gets to varifying the pool data then it says microsoft 1995 - 1997 so it wont boot and when you put the boot disk in it says

remove all data disks and other media and sritke anykey to restart

do that....it says

C:\

thats it you cannot command it to do anything it will say

bad command name

type in d: it wont do anything but say invalid drive specification it will switch back and forth from

A:\ to C:\ as commanded but THATS IT!

I cannot give you anymore information because that is ALL there is.......... :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The problem here would appear to be that you are telling the machine to read from the virtual ram drive that is set up using the startup disk. This shifts all the drive letters up one letter so your cd-rom drive is now E:

If the hard drives are not being detected in BIOS, enter BIOS setup by tapping either the F1 or Delete key during the boot sequence. It will tell you on the bottom of the first splash screen which key you need to press to enter setup (Press [key] to enter setup). Read all the instructions on the BIOS screen...there should be a key you can press to set the BIOS to default or Fail Safe default. Press that key, save the settings (usually F10) and exit BIOS setup.

Put the Win98 cd in the cd-rom drive and the startup disk in the floppy drive, then reboot.

At the Options screen, press Shift + F5 for command prompt. At the A:\ prompt, type e:setup and press "Enter". The installation should begin. If it doesn't, post back and we'll see if we can sort this out.

wannabe1

snugglezthedeathcat

snugglezthedeathcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
nope it does not work it wont read any device drives or anything i cannot install anything starting with d:\ or e:\ it says invalid drive specification

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
All righty then...

Would you please list for me what steps you have taken thus far? Have you changed BIOS settings as suggested? Is this machine a desktop or a laptop?

The move information I have at this point, the better. I have to step out for about an hour, but will check in when I return and we'll try to get this thing running. :tazz:

wannabe1

snugglezthedeathcat

snugglezthedeathcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
actually according to the events last night it dont even matter...the computer is the least of my worries....heres my solution...move out...get a new computer ..have a great break ok hun...thank you really illl probably get back to you soon...by the way arent i just a pretty little creature hehe