Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The service "Windows Installer" have stopped working!

• Please log in to reply

Fingon

Fingon

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi there!

Some days ago I did reinstall my Windows XP Home Edition.
I did no clean reinstall, just reinstalled it but told the installation to keep my old files, users, settings and so on.

When the reinstallation was ready, I started Windows as normal, and things seemed to work. Until i tried to install a program. Now, everytime when I try to install anything, the installation starts with the normal "packing up files blaha blaha blaha to start installation..", but when the actual installation is about to start I get this error message that look something like this:

"The service Windows Installer could not me used.
This may happen if you are running Windows in secure
mode or if the Windows Installer wasn't installed properly."

I may also point out that I'm not running Windows in secure mode, I have never had this problem before, and I also have reinstalled Windows before. Could someone please help me?

Edited by Fingon, 13 February 2006 - 05:49 AM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Fingon!

Go to Windows Update and get all the updates you need. Included in these updates will be Windows Installer 3.1, which should solve your problem. Let us know how things are going after you have fully updated your computer.

Fenor

Fingon

Fingon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Well, Windows updates refuses to work on my computer :tazz:
I used Internet Explorer 6.0 in this case, and tried to acces windows updates, but got the followning error msg:
"A problem occured, the site cant be accessed" (freely translated from Swedish).

I changed all IE-settings so it would accept incoming ActiveX-thingys, put Windows Updates under "secure sites" and so on, but it refuses to work.

The automatic updates-thingy in WinXp does work though... What should i do? Mainly, what should I do to get Windows update to work?

Fingon

Fingon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Now I found a link to Microsofts download site where you could download the latest version of Windows installer (3.1). The installation starts, but suddenly this message pops up:

"MSI30-KB884016 - installation...
Access denied"

When you click ok, the installation exits.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Before we continue troubleshooting, let's make sure you don't have an infection that is causing all these problems.

Please follow all the directions found here. After you get to step 5, if your problem is not resolved, post a HijackThis log in the Malware forum. If your problem persists after getting a clean bill of health from a malware expert, return here and we'll continue troubleshooting.

Keep in mind, the malware forum is very busy and can take up to 5 days to receive a reply. There is a special forum called The Waiting Room if you've been waiting for 3 or more days. You can put a link to your topic & a short description of your problem and someone will get with you soon.

Fingon

Fingon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
In the beginning of this whole bunch of problems I also thought that, so I did all the things on the list (except the windows update thing and the online virus scan, cause as you know it does not work on my computer, I guess there is some error with my activeX..). I posted my Hijack This log to the Malwareforum, they checked it, I did some more of their recomendation, and then they told me that there wasn't a sign of malware on my computer.

Just to be sure, I'm testing my system with Ewido, AVG-antivirus, Trojan Hunter, Ad Aware SE and CleanUp right now, but I still can't access Windows Updates.

What to do? :-/

Edited by Fingon, 13 February 2006 - 02:32 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you check the installer version, the error number you put refers to installer 3.0

http://support.micro...kb/884016/en-us

3.1 is here

http://support.micro....com/?id=893803

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Fingon

Fingon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Now it actually seems to work :tazz: I'll be back in this topic tomorrow if something goes wrong with the installations I plan to do right now (two programs installed without any problems though..)

Thanks a lot!