Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to update ATI Mobility Radeon Drivers

• Please log in to reply

Maeldun

Maeldun

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok, so i wanted to update to the 6.2 catalyst drivers, and it was recommended that your remove all old drivers first. got the program Driver Cleaner 3, and accidently 'cleaned' away the 3dfx drivers (2 files) while i did the ATI ones. big boo boo.

now i cant install the new 6.2 Catalyst drivers, it comes up with

"INF error.
Video driver not found."

"Setup was unable to completeinstallation.
Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup."

im assuming its because i removed the 3dfx drivers.

also, when i got to Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > Adapter, i have nothing there (i think this information should help).

im a very angry man =\ can some1 please help me get back the 3dfx driver that i removed, or otherwise fix the INF error if the problem isnt created by the removal of the 3dfx drivers. thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what kind of computer is this? is it home built? (i assume it's a laptop so probably not home built) assuming it's a prebuilt LT....what kind is it? dell?

Maeldun

Maeldun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
its a compaq nx9110.

i read somewhere that it could be done dling some chipset drivers orsomething, but i dont know what chipset drivers are and cant find much on the hp website.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://h18007.www1.h...te/64_5932.html <--there they are...get the newest one under "driver - graphics"

Maeldun

Maeldun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok, got an adapter now in display properties. the 6.2 patch still doesnt work, coming up with the same message. ive downloaded it twice to make sure it wasnt corrupted or w/e. ive also tried an older catalyst driver with the same error message.

so now i think you need more information, eh? what can i do?

(i have done the spyware removal and virus detection as detailed in the "Read This First" section, pretty clean)

Edited by Maeldun, 13 February 2006 - 11:57 AM.

Maeldun

Maeldun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
im still getting the INF Error, is there nothing you guys can do?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.geekstogo...=download&id=13 download and run this...then attatch the resulting log with y our next post

Maeldun

Maeldun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
did a report of the whole computer. hope i did it right.

Attached Files

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
https://support.ati....ge&folderID=293

this is a list of the OLD versions of the catalyst driver for motherboards containint integrated ati graphics ( i hate that ATI doesn't do card specific drivers)....
all the way up to 6.2 claims to support the 9100 chipsets

not making sense at all

https://support.ati....ge&folderID=293 that's the link for the 6.2

Maeldun

Maeldun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
this is the first time ive ever tried to install a catalyst driver, otherwise ive been on the stuff hp has given me (drivers on CD and website) which are out dated, but worked fine until now.

i only want to update the drivers, because i play wow and its supposed to have a fix in there, but i doubt even the fix will work (sluggish performance and crashing in some areas of the game since patch 1.9.2).

so if its just ATI being gay, then any other way to get my wow game back to how it was pre-1.9.2 (ie not sluggish) would be fine, if it makes it any easier. your call.

http://forums.worldo...mp=1#post684059

also from blizzard tech support:
"Some laptop users have had success with Omega drivers (http://www.omegadrivers.net/), these are official drivers that have been changed by a third party to add additional functionality as well as support for previously unsupported systems (such as laptops). These drivers are not supported by the manufacturer and they are a "use at your own risk" driver. If you have any questions it is recommended that you contact the video card manufacturer. We offer no support or help for use of unofficial drivers."

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
IF you want to try the omega drivers you can....i personally cannot assure any thing with those...so...at your own risk..

if you still have the original drivers cd...try using driver cleaner to completely wipe the new drivers and try to reinstall from the cd..

Maeldun

Maeldun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
already tried using the drivers from the cd.

i just offered up omega as an option. your the pro, what would you suggest we do from here?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
https://support.ati....ge&folderID=293 let's go here...thats for the ATI page with a utility to see if the catalyst mobility is compatable with your system..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
I HATE THE ATI WEBSITE...

go to the above link
on the left side expand the windows xp section
click on Notebooks with ATI Graphics
click on Catalyst Mobility 6.2 for Windows XP on the right
run the utility at the bottom...this will check to see if these drivers are even ok for your system..

Maeldun

Maeldun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
[bleep]ers! i HATE ati and their stupid [bleep]ing website. no catalyst cant be run on my [bleep] system, and no [bleep]ing idea why.

soooo...i guess thats the end of it then. i cant play wow until [bleep]ing blizzard brings out something more ATI friendly, because [bleep]ing ATI are [bleep] heads, and hp havent done anything for 6 months the useless [bleep]s.

u htink the omega drivers are worth a shot?

Edited by Maeldun, 14 February 2006 - 02:42 PM.