Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trying to update ATI Mobility Radeon Drivers

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i've asked to see if the omega drivers will work on a system that claims the ati drivers will not

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

I woudl install the omegadrivers from the beginning, to be honest

If they fail, I would run driver cleaner one more time, then look at his original driver cd and find the original chipset drivers and then original drivers

I can tell you that the the ati chipset that came with this laptop is a real stinker. I had a laptop not too long ago and I it was a real bear to get it to load....seems, I dropped into safe mode, wiped the drivers with drivecleaner, then installed the chipset drivers then the videodrivers to get it up and running again

seems like the omega's may be the way to go

Maeldun

Maeldun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
yeah ill give them a go. should i use the driver cleaner again?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Either driver cleaner or the ATI uninstaller tool from there website. The 6.2 drivers were designed for x1000 series cards and while they cover older cards they say in large letter on the discalimer right at the top only install if you have a problem.

The original drivers are almost always the best(either that or the next couple), WoW lags not because of an error just that thats a slow video card and its integrated(thats the thing about laptops they are fundamentally not designed to game).

I would use the originals as if i remember the ATI mobility catalyst series drivers wasnt what they used to use for the older integrated like yours its for the newer ones mostly. Try the omegas or the originals, and patch back WoW if its got worse since you patched the game, patches are fine but you should only get them if you have a problem as they usually open up new problems themselves for some people.

Maeldun

Maeldun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
i know my card sucks, but it can run wow. always has up until recently.

yes i used the original drivers, but now a problem has come up and so i looked for a solution. the catalyst drivers were supposed to fix the problem for the 9800 and so i was hoping it would do the same for me. i needed to try something.

now its onto omega, thanks for the advice and info. ill put them on now

Maeldun

Maeldun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
installed just fine, and i think an improvement in wow aswell.

thankyou guys for all your assisstance and guidance, this site does so much for so many people.

you should remember the omega drivers as an alternative. it was built by a gamer for gamers i htink, as a hobby, based on the drivers made by the manufacturers (ie ATI catalyst drivers).

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Glad you are fixed omegas are usaully a last resort as they dont have the level of refinement or number of fixes the normal ones do but they are good.