Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No file association?

• Please log in to reply

the lairy bay

the lairy bay

• Pip
  • 6 posts
:tazz: Hey, I dont know if anyone can help but, All programs wont load on my pc, windows doesnt seem to be associating a program with things i try and load and comes up with this message;

"[i]To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer."

which is ok if i know what program created it, but any new software that i want to install, i cant as i dont know what program to associate with it. a box also appears when i boot up with some characters followed by \windows\apppatch.

Any ideas anyone? (responses should be given in a manor when talking to an idiot as i am not experienced)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
could you give the full message with the windows\apppatch in it? there should be a dll file associated with that

the lairy bay

the lairy bay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thats all it seems to say. sometimes it just has characters, sometimes it has that. all icons dont display properly etc and oddly nothing in the control panel will open. on occaisons it also loads up and nothing will work, mouse will move but nothing responds. it just gives the folder name, not the file name. Really dont understand this

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

let's see if you can do any of those steps...i've got a feeling something fishy is afoot